Monday, January 23, 2017

Who Me?!?!

Well, Abba, slapped me upside the head this morning to get my attention.

As awoke this morning, I thought, "I will put all the Christmas stuff away today."  

LOL. No, not this bad! 
Even though I took all the Christmas decorations down right after New Years, I did not put them away.  It's not a chore I look forward to doing. I piled them up in my office. Where. they. still. sit.  To my shame, I even vacuumed around it all. 

I got up and put the coffee up.  I walked into the office to get my laptop and as I walked the pathway through all the Christmas stuff, I thought loudly to myself, "Nope. Not today."  

Coffee in hand, I sat down and opened Charles Stanley's devotional for today.  This is  where I got slapped: 
Many people never stop to realize that laziness is a sin. But like any other landmine, it has the potential to hurt or destroy lives. To be constantly idle and fruitless is contrary to scriptural teachings. And anything that goes against God’s Word is a sin. In the parable of the talents, Jesus said of the servant who’d buried his master’s money, “You wicked, lazy servant!” (See Matt. 25:26 NIV.) The Lord put both wickedness and slothfulness into the same undesirable category.
The book of Proverbs gives us a description of the lazy person. First, he is a procrastinator—somebody who puts off what needs to be done (Prov. 20:4). Second, he uses any excuse to avoid work (Prov. 22:13). Third, he wastes time (Prov. 6:9-11). And finally, a slothful person is neglectful and careless with regard to what’s going on around him (Prov. 24:30-32). 
Laziness does not fit who we are as believers. Our Father expects us to live purposefully and work conscientiously; to be lazy and turn out a poor performance damages our testimony. Proverbs 25:19 warns, “Like a bad tooth and an unsteady foot is confidence in a faithless man in time trouble.” A lazy, untrustworthy person leaves tasks unfinished and, as a result, is a poor witness for Christ. What will unbelievers see in such a life that they would desire for themselves? 
We have a wonderful opportunity to participate in God’s work, and that includes performing well in our vocation as a demonstration of obedience. Choose to work for Him today.
Lazy Procrastinator, Yes today!  And all this correction before 5 AM! Guess what I'm doing today as I wait for this Nor'Easter to hit The Island?

Because of Him and Unto Him,





9 comments:

Ed said...

Ugh! I guess this is something I needed to read and digest. I too keep putting things off, mostly out of laziness. But I also had a thought that my laziness could end up being an entrance for slobbishness too! Thanks Diane! :)

Diane Ronzino said...

Hi Ed! Thanks for coming by to read. Isn't it amazing that our Abba will bring us correction when we need it? I love Him for it. I got all my decorations put away in less than a half hour, so what was my deal? UGH is right. Laziness! But, our Abba is most patient with us. I thank Him that He is!

Floyd Samons said...

I get it. I used to be a procrastinator. Over the years of having that bite me in the be hind I changed to the opposite. Now, if something needs to be done, especially something I dread, I tackle it first. Just to get it off my back. I've learned to loathe that feeling of something hanging over me.

Diane Ronzino said...

You know, Floyd, I had mastered procrastination, too, now that I'm thinking about what you said. Hhmmmmm....Need to pray about this....Thanks, Floyd!

Caroline said...

Thanks for this post, always I can depend on food for thought. In the Spirit through the recent yrs I have generally felt the balance between laziness and overdoing. Thought I conquered procrastination in Him. And in Jan I realized I am again procrastinating more n more. Although one day just less than 2 wks ago I realized I am Not giving myself time to enjoy the things I do enjoy, ie. had not watched tv in over a week or art , which I am not good at but enjoy, or just spending more time with my dog, Faith.
This means for the most part I am generally doing something in my waking hours. To add to that equation , for more medical reasons than anything else , I have many long n long distance appointments. So idleness is not the problem. But procrastination with sloppiness is.

Betty Draper said...

I procrastinate more that I am older than I did when I was young. I was too busy when I was young to be lazy, always working, ever doing. now I can leave a few dishes in the sink, or wait a day or two to do laundry. I think the one that trips me up is failure to get into the Word...too many good books to read. Great post.

Diane Ronzino said...

Caroline and Betty, thank you for sharing. Everything in balance...

Caroline said...

What a thought provoking blog . It helped me , yes balance is important. And I too as Betty commented on,procrastinate when it comes to reading my bibles , especially the version that speaks to me the most. Gotta get that one out and dust it off, read it , before my bible study next Thursday. <3

Caroline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.