Friday, June 17, 2016

North Carolina Highlight #1

For this child I prayed ~ 1 Samuel 1:27 
Little men - Keith and DJ
Twenty years ago I was head of the Nursery Department in my church.  We had two separate rooms - one for infants and toddlers and the other for 3-4-year-olds.  One day, Isabel came in with her two grandsons in tow.  Keith and DJ were just three years old. Cousins who were the same age. I will never forget that day they walked in - they were dressed like little men. My heart melted with love for these two boys. They were raised to adulthood in this close-knit family, where the "village" of this family all helped raise them. Cousins, yet closer than some brothers.

A bit after arriving at Isabel's home last night, her daughter Marion came in with a surprise home-made birthday cake for me and with DJ.  This handsome young man, now 23, recently came home from his tour of duty.

Handsome man
As a child, I prayed for him and Keith. Last night as a man, we embraced.  I looked into his eyes and saw the fruit of my prayers.  That same smile he had as a three-year-old is the same now 20 years later. Joy filled my heart to see the fruit of my prayers. There was much I wanted to say to him but I couldn't for I knew if I did, the tears would flow.

Man.
Soldier.
Man/soldier who could embrace this old lady with fondness. The kind of hug that only Love can produce.  Man/soldier with a gentle spirit and Love in his heart...(now the tears are flowing).

Next Wednesday, the day before I leave to go home, Keith arrives.  He will be home on leave.  Our Father arranged for him to arrive while I am still here.  Oh, thank You, LORD.

Man.
Soldier.
I cannot wait to look into his eyes.  More than that, I cannot wait to see cousin/brothers side by side once again.  

Boys who used to play soldier.
Men who are soldiers.

As men of valor, their military experiences are incomprehensible to me.  I want to be able to hold them and erase all that they may have seen, heard, witnessed, done that may have scarred their souls.  Of course, that is not in my ability to do so.

But what is in my ability is I can pray as I did so long ago, and trust DJ and Keith into our Father's Hand of healing and graciousness.

Hhmmm...which is the highlight?
Birthday cake?  DJ?
Birthday cake?  DJ?

Clearly DJ.  Thank You, LORD, for this gift unto me. 

Because of Him and Unto Him,




2 comments:

Caroline said...

Thank you so much Diane for sharing the God connection story. It is truly inspirational and encouraging to the fact that when we live in HIM he touches us through people we care about while reminding us he is always there for us and his other children, I think the word is omnipresent,butif it's wrong please correct me

Diane Ronzino said...

You are so right, Caroline. His Care of us goes beyond our finite comprehension. I think that is why we marvel so much when He does do things kind of things for us. He is such a loving Daddy!