Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Do You Take Love In Your Coffee?

Love conquers all.  That was my thought as my landlord walked away from my front door.  As I closed the door behind him, I looked Heavenward and said out loud, “Agape conquers all.  Thank You, LORD!"

Surely, Love never fails.

I had a cesspool back-flow into the basement the day before Easter.  Four days later, my landlord still hadn’t taken care of the problem.  All he did was shut my water off.  So, I went ahead and called in a cesspool company.  My landlord went ballistic, refusing to pay the bill because he hadn’t authorized it. Days later, through a not so kind text, he told me he wanted me to leave.

I’ve been renting from this man for 13 months now and I had already come to the conclusion he wasn’t a very nice man.  Now, my opinion was he was a slumlord.  However, I always treated him with a smile, kindness, dignity, and respect.  I didn’t argue. I didn’t threaten to sue (as Christian friends were advising me to do). I kept quiet.  When he sent nasty texts, I did not respond in kind. 

And so my diligent hunt for a new home to rent ensued.  But, I was keenly aware within my spirit that God wanted to deal with this man’s heart.  I told The LORD that my money wasn’t mine, but His and if it cost $3,000 to have this man see Jesus through me, then it was worth it.  That was my objective.  For him to see Jesus Christ in me through this whole ordeal. After all, I am a professing "Christian". 

The short of the long story is this:  Through the real estate lady who showed me this house to rent, he sent a message: He did not want me to leave, but he did not understand what he did wrong. Would I be willing to meet with him, along with the real estate woman?  My reply to her was, “Of course.”  The appointment was set for yesterday morning at 9 AM.  Friends again told me to “stick to my guns”; “demand he pay the $3,000 or you will take him to court”; “you need to move out regardless of the outcome”, etc.

Nope.  That is not who I am.  Love, Himself, lives within me and Love is kind…isn’t it?  Isn't He?

At church the day before, my Pastor’s message completely confirmed my heart attitude about the whole situation.  I stood up and testified to that fact.

Monday 8:45 AM  I set the table for three.  For coffee.  
8:50 AM  The real estate woman arrived.  I poured our coffees.
9:00 AM  The landlord arrives.  

I met him with an open door and a smile as he walked up the walk.  As he stepped into my living room, I extended my hand and said, "Welcome.  Would you join me in a cup of coffee?"

My question seemed to momentarily shock him as he stammered his response.  “Umm...cou...ffee? Umm...ye...s, that would be great.”

I asked him to sit at the table and I poured his coffee.  As I placed his cup in front of him, he looked up at me and asked, “Can I have a hug?”  



Love had met him at the door.
Love served him coffee.
Love hugged him.  Tightly.  




From that point on, I didn’t need to say a word.  He apologized and did all the talking.  When our convo was finished, I walked him to the front door.  He turned and once again asked if he could have a hug.  

Love tightly embraced him once again.  He didn't break the embrace. I finally did.  His soul was wrapped in the Arms of Love and Love was having His Way with him.

He walked down the stoop, turned back toward me and paused. “Thank you."  He didn't realize it, but he was actually thanking The LORD. 

I know he was embraced by Jesus - Love Himself - in my little home over a cup of coffee.  Surely, Love never fails! 

Because of Him and Unto Him,  

12 comments:

Melanie Ghauri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie Ghauri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie Ghauri said...

Your Agape was being tested (referring to one of your earlier blogs:) ). So beautiful Di and such a Diane story, why you are so blessed, as you allow the Lord to Agape through you. Tears of Joy. This also rings true the message of patience and it's fruit to me. Love is... Patient.

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Amen, Mel! Amen!

Sharon Siebert said...

But besides love you never told what the answer was.

Sharon Siebert said...

But besides love you never told what the answer was.

Veronica Shticks Anderson said...

Aww, this brought tears to my eyes! So sweet!

Betty Draper said...

Finally, I can comment. I tried several times then resorted to commenting on facebook. But I just need to tell you on this page, I love what God is doing in our life and others. Eyes have not seen, hears have heard what God can do when a person humbles themselves before Him.

Floyd Samons said...

This is just an awesome story, Diane. I so admire and am encouraged that you didn't listen to others, you listened to the only One that matters. You absolutely showed him the heart, hands, arms, and words of our Savior.

This is what being a Christian looks like in real life, sister. God bless you!

Diane Ronzino said...

Sharon, The landlord apologized and said he did not want me to move out. So, I'm staying. Thanks for asking. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, V! You are a mush! LOL...that's what I love about you. We both make each other cry. LOL

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you so much, Floyd. I appreciate your encouraging words!