Thursday, July 9, 2015

Sorry, Michael W.

What makes our relationship with God different than that of what we learn about God through a religion?

Intimacy.  

So many, many Christians know about Him. They pray. They may worship, and may even give tithes, offerings, or alms.

But...


Rarely do I see intimacy.  It's like some have barbed wire around their hearts saying, "Keep away!" 

I don't see vulnerability and openness with Him.

And I don't see obedience to His Word.



He replied, Blessed rather are those who hear The Word of God and obey It.” ~ Words of Jesus The Christ, as recorded in Luke 11:28
The blessings come in the intimate moments. God, being intimate with us, is His Blessing.  

We tend to think of the word "intimacy" in terms of sex.  No. A man who is willing to be vulnerable and share his innermost being with a woman is true intimacy. Heart intimacy. Not a physical act.

It's one thing for us to be vulnerable and share our most intimate thoughts, desires, emotions with God.  It's quite another thing for us to allow God to be intimate with us.
Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you. ~ Words of the Apostle James, as recorded in James 4:8

In Michael W. Smith's song, Draw Me Close, he opens the song with "Draw me close to You; never let me go." 

It's sung as a prayer. A request. No...sorry, Michael W.  

We can't ask God to draw us close because His Word says we must make that first step of intimacy toward Him. Then, He will draw close to us.  

He is a Gentlemen; He never forces Himself upon us. He desires us to want to draw close Him and His intimacy. The word "draw" means to "move steadily". Move...we have to move toward God. If we keep Him at arms length, then that's as close as He will ever be with us. Because of His Gentlemen-ness.  

Continuing with the lyric "never let me go" - God promises us He will not leave us nor forsake us, so why do we ask Him to not let us go in this song?  That shows we don't trust Him.

When I sing this song, I sing, "I draw close to You; You never let me go..."  I sing those lines as statements of fact. Truth.

May you have a intimate moments with The LORD today!

Because of Him and Unto Him,


2 comments:

Betty Draper said...

A precious post Diane...I so desire an intimate moment with the Lord. They come too when I am focus on Him and not my issue or anything else but Him. It is worth the wait every time too to sense Him being totally aware of me. Gives me cold chills those kind of thoughts. Lately I have withdrew from writing a little, and even surfing the web, not even reading much, just waiting, holding my breathe for a touch from Him. I know it will come, it always has and my part is just stay faithful to what ever He tells me to do. So glad you are back to writing and sharing the insight God gives you. Out of great pain comes post such as this one.

Diane Ronzino said...

My Wise-hearted Betty, I love your transparency. Touch, He will. So glad you are patient...His Touch will be well-worth the wait.