Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Mind Glitch of the Holy Man

Peter. 

Man of Faith.  

Holy man of God. 

So walking in the Power of The Holy Spirit, that his shadow healed people.

Was it always so?

Matthew gives us a picture of Peter before his tremendous anointing.  A picture of Peter pointing his finger at Jesus.  
From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day. 
The finger of "rebuke" wasn't really a  rebuke
Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!” 
But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”  ~ Matthew 16:21-23
Much gets preached about this portion of Scripture.  You could go on for days from what you can glean from this scenario and Jesus' Words. 

I've heard over the years that people think Peter was either very arrogant or faithless to have "rebuked" Jesus.  But, I now know different.  

From experience.

I've had fresh understanding of these verses since my own trial began a year ago.

Peter didn't "rebuke" Jesus Christ out of arrogance or faithlessness. It wasn't a "rebuke" like we think "rebuke".  

He just could not wrap his head around the Truth.  Jesus was telling him that he was going to be killed and be raised back up.  Peter's mind probably glitched at the word "killed".  Huh?  He probably didn't even hear the rest of what Jesus said.

Jesus was the King of kings.  He had a Kingdom that was going to be established in Israel.  This was Peter's earthly understanding.  His mind must have raged, Killed? Noooooo!, 

Peter's mind could not accept those words. It didn't want to accept them. This couldn't be Truth!  

It's a physical thing. 

I know. I've lived it. 

In one brief instance, a blanket comes over your mind.  It cannot think.  It cannot comprehend.  It cannot connect the words. "Huh?", is about all your mind can muster.  

One year later, I can now finally accept what my counselor has been telling me from day one.  But, it took this long for the body/mind connection be made.  It took this long for my being to de-traumatize enough from shock that it could accept Truth.

The body/mind connection protects you from shocking news.  Every system in your body goes into high gear to protect you all your organs and systems from the shock-wave that shot through your body from the words you heard.

Jesus' Words were shocking to Peter.

I even think (personal opinion) that Peter's denial of Jesus a bit later, wasn't so much as cowardliness as it was just because he couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that Jesus was just carted away by Roman soldiers. He was in shock -  all over again - and probably subconsciously his body/mind reacted: "If I deny this is all happening, maybe it really won't be happening."  "Maybe I'll wake up and this will have been a bad dream."  

Classic case of PTSD.

Ever been there?  I hope not.  But, if you have, I hope you can better relate to Peter now; that you can understand how he could say such words and/or deny his Lord. 

After Peter's inner healing on the beach (where Jesus asked Peter three times if he loved Him, to make up for the three times he had denied Him) and after his body started to de-stress from the shocks, Peter was steadfast in waiting in the upper room for The Holy Spirit.

Oh, and how God, then, was able to use him.  

Peter's mind had been on earthly things, not Heavenly. (Col. 3:2)  He wasn't thinking spiritually, he was thinking logically.  He was leaning on his own understanding (Prov. 3:5).

Just like you and I do.

Because of Him and Unto Him, 






2 comments:

Betty Draper said...

Wow Diane, great thoughts on a old old story and you know, I get it. I can understand shock, be there, took me a whole year one time to recover from a shock, a could not believe situation. Now on this side of it I have a better understanding and heart for others are get the life shocked out of them. Thank God for the resurrection power that works His will in us we come through it and give Him praise. Bless you my courageous wise hearted sister, out of your trial flows powerful words.

Diane Ronzino said...

Amen to His Resurrection Power in us! Where would I be without Him????

I shutter to think. Love you, Betty!