Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Diabolical Deception

In 40 years of marriage we only went on two vacations.  The first one was after my husband had repented and gave his heart back to The LORD when we were young parents.  He had been backslidden for about 4 years.  His repentance was very dramatic - truly, a testimony to the Glory of our God. 

Shortly thereafter, we rented a cabin on a lake in New Hampshire with friends of ours.

The Saturday morning of our drive up to New Hampshire, we stopped at the Christian bookstore to get some “driving music”.  Back in the car, my husband popped in a cassette of DeGarmo and Key.  The first song that played was Casual Christian. 

This is the chorus of the song: 



I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be a casual Christian

I don't wanna live, I don't wanna live a lukewarm life

But I wanna light up the night

With an everlasting light

I don't wanna live the casual Christian life



We listened to the song. As it came to an end, surprisingly Joe rewound it.  We listened to it a second time.  On the third time around, I was in awe as I sat in the passenger seat next to my non-emotional husband.  He was singing at the top of his lungs with tears pouring down his face.  He could barely drive.  It was a God-moment.

Yep.  That was Joe’s song. It was his declaration. And he lived up to it.  Every free moment after work, from that day on, was spent in ministry and living a life of faith.

What’s so scary in this day and age is that Jesus has forewarned us “even the elect will be deceived”. (Matt. 24:24-25)

WILL BE.

Nope, no one is safe from backsliding. Be not deceived - no one - not me, not you, not my husband. Not the elect.  We must work diligently to guard our hearts and minds – our very lives and eternal homes depend on it.
Keep (guard, protect) your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life.    ~ Prov. 4:23
                                              
Torment is the only result of sin.  So when sin calls, when she beckons with her sultry lies, turn away!  Deception is cunning.  Diabolical.  Not easily recognized.  So, we must cast down the vain imaginations that dare to exult themselves above God!  (II Corth. 10:5)
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.              ~ I Corth. 10:13
God provides an avenue of escape when the temptation to sin comes a knocking. Look for it. And follow that path. My husband’s adulteries, lies, and deceptions all began with a thought. One thought that was not cast down gave birth to others, which gave birth to sin, which has led to destruction. 
Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But, each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. ~ James 1:13-15

Yep. The lure of sin is nothing other than a diabolical deception designed to slowly entice you away from your relationship with The LORD. (Isaiah 59:1-3).

Then SNAP!  You’re caught in its trap.



Oh, Father, grant unto me - clearly - the avenues of escape when I am enticed to sin.  May I speedily cast down ungodly thoughts and give no place to them.  Thank You, my LORD, God. Thank You.

Because of Him and Unto Him,


No comments: