Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Oh, To Understand...

We do not write to in order to be understood; 
          we write in order to understand.                       
~ C.S. Lewis


Have you found this true in your own life?  

I have. I started journaling when I first accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord almost 30 years ago. It's a legacy of my spiritual journey.

Oh, the things I discovered about myself!  

And the things I discovered about my Jesus, my Beloved Friend, The Holy Spirit, and my Father.  I soaked in His Word and was gaining understanding and revelation.

I would read some Scripture, and it would speak into my heart. So, I would write and write and write questions and/or my meditations on those Scriptures, and the understanding I was getting from that Word.  

 

Then, I would go back to my Bible and write a thank you to My Father for the insight or revelation from that word. Of course, I also put the date.  My Bible is marked from Genesis to Revelation.

As God's Word was transforming who I was as a human being, so did my writing. My journals became my love letters to my Father.  Most of the time, my handwriting turned to scribble, as I could not write fast enough. The hand couldn't keep up with the heart's accolades to my Father.

And then I would sit in silence waiting upon Him.

Sometimes I would have to wait a long time, other times His reply to my heart was immediate.

And so I would write those precious, life-affirming Words.  

For me, I agree with C.S.Lewis. That is how my journaling devotional blog came about. I wanted to share some Scripture prompts for others who journal. 

How about you? What has writing done for you?

Because of Him and Unto Him, 



12 comments:

Floyd said...

I didn't know that was true about understanding ourselves, but didn't take long to figure it out. It is such a connection with our Father when we write to Him and for Him. Well said, sister.

A Joyful Noise said...

Writing taught me that in myself, I am not a saint as I am undone, but IN Christ I am His precious child.

TC Avey said...

I'm with you sister! Sometimes I write so fast I can't read it later!

I have so many Bibles written in. I like to look back and see what God revealed to me at various times in my life. Such as when I was a teen verses a college student and then compare them to ten + years down the road.
It's amazing to see my journey! It's also a nice reminder of things I may have forgotten.

joy said...

I write and write too what I get from God's words. Precious moments and revelations and notes from God:)

Betty said...

Ohhhhhhhhh this is good thoughts. I must dig out those journals from my early years after I got saved. I think some of them are molded together since they have been packed away so long. I know there are gems in them that God spoke to my heart. Yes, I do believe we get a greater understanding of ourselves when we begin to gain understanding from Him. So good to see this post, means you are feeling better.

Kel Rohlf said...

when I write I feel God's pleasure...I love journaling and I love your prompts! I have been bumping into a lot of encouragement about journaling this week...it is a sacred practice for me.

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Diane,

I enjoy journaling too, as part of my devotions, and then also just for life.

Have a great week!

Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Martha Herden said...

Diane-
Keeping a journal started late in my life-but once it did, I relate to your comments of not being able to write the words out fast enough!! For me my first years of writing were
"Healing Writing" as I opened my heart and let God heal the tough times during my very young years.

Now-my writing has a very different purpose~~ I have a place to pour my heart out and talk about this horrible Pain my body must go through each day of my life. There are so many times when I feel God is standing beside me, looking at the words and its like a "silent" conversation~~~in my darkest moments with Pain, HE is there-assuring me I can take the next second of Pain, no matter how bad it is.

My prayer is simple-if one person happens to see my Blog, reads it and suddenly realizes, "I am not alone-there is somebody else who is hurting like I do!" That is my Joy and Sorrow~~~sounds a bit strange, but the Sorrow hits as I know another person is fighting with Chronic Pain.

You chose a beautiful topic Diane-we all have reasons for our words and you help give us a Doorway to walk through, and start to share with others. Wonderful, truly wonderful...

God bless you Diane. Martha

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you all for sharing what writing has done for you. It put such a smile on my face!

Us bloggers are a unique bunch. Most of my friends cannot understand why I write a blog or read other blogs. They don't get it.

They don't know what they are missing! Truly. Thank you for sharing!

Hugs all around!

Betty said...

HUGS BACK TO YOU....

Ursh said...

Diane!!!

Thank you so much for popping on by recently! I'm back on the blog writing detail....life got crazy and I had to shelve it for a while...well more than crazy...but I've missed it! I can't wait to catch up on all your blogs (okay maybe not ALL)...thanks for the visit once again and hope you are very well!

Ursh xx

Diane Ronzino said...

So glad you are back up and wrting again! I sure do understand how "life" gets in the way of our blogs. Can you imagine if we had no other responsibilities and all we could do is write?

...aahhhh....