Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Faith As A Way of Life

Expect an encounter with God in your trials and as you encounter Him, surrender. ~ June Croon
Our God tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14). 

Dead. 

Inactive. 

Non-producing. 

Barren. 

Void. 

Useless.

Faith, without corresponding action (works) is dead.  So, we must put action to our faith in order to see results.  

Peter had faith, but it wasn't until he put action to his faith that he received a miracle.  And that corresponding action was miracle-producing. Peter was in the middle of a violent storm on the sea. This experienced fisherman was terrified. Now that is a trial!  And he was about to encounter Jesus in the midst of his ordeal.

Peter had to have expectation.  He had to have surrendered his will to the Will of Jesus, Who bid Peter to come to Him, otherwise he never would have left the security of the boat.  Even though the boat was violently tossed about like a toy in a bathtub, I'm sure he felt more secure than stepping out of the boat into the fiercely crashing waves.  Peter had faith with works!


His corresponding action was: 

He put his one leg over the side of the boat.

Then the other leg. 

He then had to let go of the sides of the boat.

And stand up. (Can you picture yourself doing that?)

He had to then move one foot in front of the other. 

Standing on water was one thing, but now to take steps?  In order to experience the historical miracle of walking on water in the midst of the ferocious storm, Peter had to expect an encounter with His Lord and Master.

And I can imagine that as he started to drown, Peter surrendered his will over to The Only One Who Could Save Him.

If we want to grow,

If we want to change,

If we want to receive miracles in our circumstances, 

If we want to encounter our God in the midst of our trials,

Then we, too, must EXPECT. Expecting is an action - a corresponding action - to belief.

And once we have encountered The Holy, Living God in our trials, surrender to Him - 

To His Will,

To His Truth,

To His Love, 

To His Power,

To His Word.

The word "surrender" is also a verb meaning to yield; to give up one's self into the power of another (which in this case is God Almighty).

There is no greater action we can take than to expect to encounter Jesus and then surrender ourselves to The All Encompassing, All For-our-good, Love of God.

He WILL cause all the trials He met us in to work together for our good. And on that we can place our expectancy!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on expecting and surrendering.  Please share with us!

Because of Him and Unto Him,


12 comments:

joy said...

For me, it is an everyday journey. Surrendering to God's will and doing everything by faith.
Your post has has much wisdom in it. Heartwarming post. One can really feel the heart of God in it. Thanks Diane for this devotional. That was I need to read this morning.

Floyd said...

Great timing... I was pondering just a short time ago today about the trials I'm currently in. The are business issues, which have been going on for over four years and God has taught me priorities... It's just business. He will provide.

One of the things I was pondering was the fact that in the difficult times how I'm drawn to Him and I was beginning to search my heart and soul to question if this isn't the very best place I might ever be in life?

Maybe the passing of my trials will bring complacency? It could be that this is the season of my training to create the habit of never taking the protection, provision, and miracles of my Father for granted for the remainder of my life.

What if this trial is exactly for the wisdom to pass to someone else?

God is good and He will deliver in His perfect will and timing. Peace comes from Him who lives within our hearts... We're on the same page today... Not a coincidence, Diane...

A Joyful Noise said...

Getting out of the boat is not an easy task, but he makes a bridge over the water as we trust in him.

Betty said...

Such wisdom Diane in your post. The times I have expected to encounter Jesus in my trials He has never disappointed me. What a relief surrender brings, yet the battle that goes on within us to try to control things before we surrender is where I learn as much as when I finally surrender. The battle helps me remember there is still the enemy of my soul wanting to destroy my testemony. It reminds me my strength is not enough to get through it. The best for me is that God loves me in the battle , when I fail in the battle and when I surrender...His love never changes. Great post...

wordglow said...

I just want to live aware of Him always there in every simple moment... I think that is how we can pray continuously as Paul said. The Holy Spirit leading... Beautiful post, Diane.

Diane Ronzino said...

I'm so glad this post met you in the morningtime and spoke to your heart. I can tell, Joy, your life is one of complete surrender and faith and I'm honored to know you!

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Floyd, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Your questions. You know, hindsight, all the trials I've been through have driven ever closer to my Father, my Husband, my LORD and Master, to my Beloved Friend. I wouldn't trade any of those trials now for what I have gained is immeasurably worth it to me.

And I have found in my own life that complacency stealthly sneaks up on me. I must be every watchful and ever vigilant to not allow that in the "good" times.

You are a wonderfully wise brother and I thank God that He has brought you into my life. I learn so much for your wisdom and way of writing, Floyd.

Diane Ronzino said...

Hazel, you are absolutely right! That is an awesome, simple-to-understand way to look at it. That is worth quoting!

Diane Ronzino said...

Hazel, you are absolutely right! That is an awesome, simple-to-understand way to look at it. That is worth quoting!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you for sharing Betty. You are so right about the battle to control things before we surrender. And sometimes, even after we surrender.

You, dear Betty, are a wise-hearted Vessel of Honor! Thank you for sharing your truths!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Pam, for sharing your thoughts. ...in the simple moments....

Sounds like a blog post title... LOL But, oh, so true. To be ever mindful of Him is what this walk is all about. Thank you for your "simple" words that describe your lifestyle. Much to learn from you, my friend!

Much! Thank you!

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Diane,

I've been working my way through James too. Whew. It's a Beth Moore study that we're doing in a women's Bible study.

Have a wonderful week.

Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com