Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Are You Dying of Thirst?

Nothing in Scripture is just as it seems. There are hidden treasures lying deep within the Words, and The Holy Spirit just loves to reveal those deeper Truths to us. The depth and breath of the Word of God is immeasurable. With that in mind, let us look at this Scripture in John 19:28:
After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!
As Jesus Christ hung on the Cross, He cried out, "I thirst".  This is the recording of Jesus' second-to-last Words uttered before His death. Soon thereafter, He gave up the Ghost, crying out, "It is finished". 

I've been meditating on Jesus' Words, "I thirst". Was Jesus dehydrated? Absolutely! Was His Body in torment for lack of water? Absolutely! But, there is a much deeper spiritual Truth here.

Jesus told us in His Beatitudes that blessed is the one who hungers and thirsts for righteousness for they will be filled. (Matthew 5:6)

...thirsts for righteousness...

The Biblical Word righteousness means to be in right standing with God.

Jesus had already taken the sins of mankind upon Himself while hanging upon the Cross. He was full of sin - your sin and mine.  And because of that, He was no longer in right standing with His Father. God Almighty had to turn His Face away from His Son because God cannot look upon sin.

Jesus cries out that He thirsts after He had already cried out, "My God, My God why have You forsaken Me?

Alone.

Abandoned for the first time in Eternity.

In torment because He was no longer in right standing with His God.

And knowing the consequences of that.

Jesus cries out that He is thirsty just before His last Words of, "It is finished".

I believe Jesus was saying to His Father in that moment, I thirst to once again be in right standing with You. Physically, He was dying of thirst. Spiritually, He was also - desperately thirsting to be restored to right standing with His Father as He hung there - separated.  


If our very last words were to be recorded for eternity, would they be words of crying out to God to make sure we were in right standing with Him before we took our last breaths?  

Are we hungering and thristing after righteousness now as we go about our daily lives?

Selah.

Because of Him and Unto Him,

8 comments:

Floyd said...

You know I'd never thought of this in that context. Of course it makes perfect sense now! God spoke to you on this one Diane. Very wise. It usually is the simple things that we miss that seem so obvious we never grasp how we could miss them in the first place. The one that discovers the simple mysteries are called genius. I call it God opening up your eyes. Well done.

A Joyful Noise said...

Diane, this is deep truth, may we all say, "I thirst."

Betty said...

Beautifully written my friend...I am singing this song as I type.




I THIRST

One day I came to Him I was so thirsty
I ask for water my throat was so dry
He gave me water that I had never dreamed of
But for this water my Lord had to die

CHORUS
He said I thirst yet he made the rivers
He said I thirst yet he made the seas
I thirst said the King of the Ages
In His great thirst he brought water to me

Now there a river that flows as clear as crystal
It comes from God throne above
And like a river it swell up inside me
Bringing mercy and life giving love

CHORUS AGIAN

Diane Ronzino said...

Isn't it amazing, Floyd, the depth of God's Word. The Holy Spirit so desires to reveal Truth to us. A Scripture that you can read a thousand times, suddenly has meaning. It amazes me!

Diane Ronzino said...

Amen, Hazel!

Diane Ronzino said...

Betty, I never heard that beautiful song. Thank you so much for sharing it. It's so absolutely true!

Wow...

Martha Herden said...

Diane-
I doubt there is ever a time in our lives when we are not "Thirsting" for HIS love.

Perhaps put this way~~those times of tremendous emotional loss-where there are no words to help ease the Pain.

It might seem at these times that our precious Lord is far away from us-but its just the opposite~~~
HE stands right beside us~~and helps ease our "Thirst" for love and comfort.

Words of great depth you have written Diane~~each person is impacted in different ways-but our Lord is so amazing and HE sees no difference-instead HE is loving one of HIS precious children~~Us.

Well done Diane. Bless you. martha

Diane Ronzino said...

I'm so glad it touched you, Martha! And you are so right about the emotional losses. Only our Lord can heal and cause us to be whole again. Only He can truly understand the heartbreak of separation. One He can walk beside us.

Thank you for your beautiful insights.