Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Comfort Is A Verb


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Mercies and God of All Comfort, Who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.   ~ II Corth.1:3-4
Last week, I got a phone call from a woman at church who needed to talk.

I listened. 

My heart ripped open as she shared her story - the story of receiving a phone call that threw her body into shock. She is reeling physically and emotionally from traumatic news within her family. She is broken open and her heart is spilled all over the ground.

Almost identical to the news I received four years ago from my daughter, I held my breathe as she shared. The two situations are eerily similar.

I have "been there", but with one major exception, I had no one who could fully understand my situation as my daughter had a large ministry and Joe and I were on their Board of Directors. There were no ears of understanding for me to cry into. No compassionate words of "I can relate, I understand". A lot of prayers were being said for Alece, but I'm not sure anyone understood the depth of what I was going through - of the shock to my body and soul, nor the depth and length of the aftermath that we had to deal with. Joe and I had to clean up the mess Niel brought upon our lives and their ministry as Board members. Decisions had to be made that no mother or father should have been asked to make. It nearly destroyed my sanity. I was alone, adrift on the sea of Christian jargon and the "Hallelujah anyways"; alone to suffer through the consequences of shock to my body. But, it all threw me to my Father's Lap of Comfort. He Alone comforted me. He Alone understood.

Now, it is my to turn to comfort someone, with the comfort I have received - to be a doer of The Word. 

We are told by our God to rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

Well, I wept the other day. Listening to her emotional pain, interceding for her physical body not to suffer the effects of shock sent me back to a time and place that forever changed the trajectory of our lives. I hold this mother close to my heart. Others will be praying for the daughter, as others did mine. But, my burden is for this mother, for it is with her that I identify.


This precious mom may not realize it yet, but she is grieving. And will continue to mourn for many days to come. I know.

May my precious Lord use me to bring some semblance of comfort to her in this great hour of trial. I pray that The Holy Spirit will flow His compassion and understanding through me, that He will use me in a way that will help her put one foot in front of the other, one moment at a time.

And may I not speak "Christianese". May my words be few, but filled with grace and understanding, empathy and hope. May my hugs convey, "I'm walking this road with you". 

Blessed are those who mourn, for they WILL BE comforted. It's a Promise from our Father. May He wrap His Arms of Comfort around His precious daughter. May His tears fill my heart, that I may compassionately be real and true with her. May I comfort her with the comfort my Father has comforted me.

And one day, she may be called upon to comfort another. And so it goes.

Because of Him and Unto Him,



26 comments:

Sharita Knobloch said...

Praise Him for being the God of all comfort! I love these verses in 2 Corinthians-- so encouraging that God is going to use our experiences to come alongside and comfort others. Thanks for blessing me today... And praying for your friend.

Kim said...

The Lord can use your deepest pain and hurt to minister to others. Bless you, Diane <3

Christina Berry said...

I'm glad you could use your experience to be a comfort to this lady, Diane. That's one way of seeing something positive about the circumstances you and your family had to cope with 4 years ago.

Love!

Floyd said...

The wisdom you have isn't by choice, but is part of God's redemption for all of us. May you use the gift and wisdom to help this dear lady in her times of trouble. Your compassionate heart is a gift to all who know you, thanks for sharing it everywhere you go and your words and prayers go.

Betty said...

Isn't it wonderful of our Lord to send that grieving women your way. Nothing you went through was a waste in God's eyes. He is pouring out the mercy in your soul so you can minister to her. Will be praying...so glad to see your sweet wise words on your blog...I miss you when you do not post. Blessings.

joy said...

I thanks GOd for you are there for this mother and as you had been comforted, you can also comfort her. Bless your heart dear. You will be in my prayer too.

A Joyful Noise said...

May healing continue for you both have been ripped apart and it seems like nothing can suture us back whole again. There is pain in knowing that someone has unthinkably betrayed you and let you and many others down as well. It will take time and lots of it to fill that hollow feeling in the pit of your stomach and in hers. While forgiveness can help, it will not relieve the emptiness that is left from the destruction that has been caused. Understanding and caring for one another is our comfort as we also rest in our Lord.

A Joyful Noise said...

Thank you for sharing your story at "Tell me a Story."

Saleslady371 said...

Our wonderful Father takes all that pain and turns it into a purpose. I just read about being a doer in James this morning. I so feel your compassion and pray for this woman as she was me and my daughter almost four years ago. It is lonely. People try to comfort; but when somebody has walked there, it makes all the difference. They really know! Bless you.

Martha Herden said...

Diane-
The Lord put you in this place, knowing that by your open hearts,
Healing will come for Both of you.

HE is LOVING you both so very much.

((blessings))martha

Diane Ronzino said...

Sharita, thanks for praying for my friend. Bless you for that! And thanks for coming by and sharing!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thanks, Kim. He does that with all of us. Think how He can use your life circumstance to help others! Wow...

So blesse that you have joined our Circle of Sharing! Yeah!

Diane Ronzino said...

Yes, Chrissy, that is true. The same holds true for your situations. If God can cause our tragedies to work for good for someone else, well that's "paying it forward".

Diane Ronzino said...

Floyd, your kind words are always so uplifting to my heart. Thank you. Sincerely.

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Betty, thank you! I've missed you all. More than I can say. I love your wise-hearted words you share everywhere you visit. Thank you!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Joy! That means a lot to me!

Diane Ronzino said...

Hazel, your words are 100% right on. Thank you. Obviously, you've had experiences to warrant being able to verbalize that so adequately. For that I'm sorry, but ever thankful for your Wisdom. Bless you!

Diane Ronzino said...

Mary, something we have in common...I'm so sorry that you too have had to experience the devastation. I like what you said: our Father takes all our pain and makes it into a purpose! That's a keeper! Thank you!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Martha! I appreciate your words!

Diane Ronzino said...

Kim, I want to encourage you to visit some of the blogs in our Circle here. What Wisdom, strength, and encouragement you will find! What awesome writers God has blessed this Circle of Sharing with.

And they need you as much!

Pam said...

The only beautiful thing that can come from our own sorrows...being able to comfort another. Beautiful, Diane. I know He is and will continue using you to put His arms around the hurting... And speaking and singing his joy over and in you...

Robert J. Gerryts said...

Well said Diane, well said. I think your experience although gained through your own hardship, will make a valuable guide right now. I'm going to go through my day remembering the comfort is an action.

-Bob

Crown of Beauty said...

What a comforting post this is. My heart goes out to that mother, and to you as well. When a sacred covenant that was never meant to be broken IS broken, there is a deep wound inflicted on the hearts of those concerned. It is a violation of trust, a betrayal... and only the Healer and Redeemer can come and bring His healing touch. But it is good to have someone with skin on who can hold our hand, weep with us, walk the lonely road with us.

Thank you for your heart Diane. I feel your kindness and your compassion, and my heart is warmed in reading your words.

Love
Lidia

Judi S. Coleman said...

I am so moved by this post...to have suffered betrayal so deeply...and now be able to comfort another...indeed only God could make such a thing possible! Most would simply commiserate, however, because CHRIST indwells your life, YOU can comfort--love that Corinthians scripture--it stands for "HOPE"!

Thank you!

Judi

LOLITA said...

Indeed, this was your moment. God placed you both at the same place because He knows you have the heart for that kind of situation.

Bless you as you continue to minister to others and may this bring you too, to total healing yourself.

I hope and pray that all is well with you, Diane. I miss you too!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I love you all!