Thursday, August 30, 2012

Another one of my "students" went Home to Jesus on Tuesday. There will be another empty chair at our Bible study group.

Ruth Young was 89 years old. But, I never would have guessed her age. I thought she was younger. I didn't know too much about Ruth, as she was most quiet. She rarely shared. But, she was ever so faithful in attendance.  Ruth was usually there before me. Waiting. Even in inclement weather. "I couldn't miss this", were her usual words.

Even though I don't know much about her personally, Ruth carried an air about her as one who has accomplished much in her life. I'm sorry that I didn't know her more intimately.  She was always meticulously dressed with hair and make up done, jewelry adorning her. I found out yesterday that it will be a military funeral. 

Ruth was in the military. Now that I did not know! Wow...

She voluteered at a local thrift shop. Right up to the end of this earthly life. At 89! 

What an inspiration!

Ruth Young is with Jesus now and with her beloved husband whom she missed so very much. She has prayed many, a many prayers for her family over the years. So I ordered a prayer plant to be sent to the funeral home, so her family will always be reminded of the prayers she prayed for them all. Our Bible study group will make a donation in her name. That will be decided in the weeks ahead.

Today would have been Bible study day.  Knowing Ruth, I can hear her say, "Don't not have Bible study on my account." But, our group will meet at the funeral home for our goodbyes to this wonderful woman who loved Jesus and His Holy Word very much. 

And then tomorrow, as the "gun salute" sounds, I will honor this inspiring woman for having served our country. 

And hopefully, I will learn more about this quiet, unassuming woman who brightened my life with her weekly presence. I will miss Ruth - especially when I first arrive at Bible study and she is not there to greet me. As I look over at her empty chair, I will thank our LORD for taking her quickly, without suffering.  

Our lives are so fleeting.  As the world continues to turn and life goes on, in one split second we can suddenly be absent from our bodies and in the Presences of our LORD God.  Hallelujah for that!

Because of Him and Unto Him,

12 comments:

Betty said...

Precious post Diane. You will give her family great comfort because of the testemony she left, It will speak love that all the group will be there. You and your group can plant gospel seeds by just your presence there. How blessed you are to be use so of our Lord. Blessings my friend.

Floyd said...

What a blessing to have shared some moments of your life with a sister and special person from God.

Life is a vapor... That's for sure.

Thanks for honoring Ruth. What a wonderful name...

A Joyful Noise said...

We may not know much about our friends, but meeting them on a blog does help us to know them better. You are a blessing to minister to these ladies with a Bible study. You have such a priviledge to meet and share with them. Farewell Ruthie till we meet again.

Pam said...

What exactly is a "prayer plant?" Does that plant somehow represent a number of prayers? How will the family know that? I'm just wondering... It sounds beautiful.
I've been thinking too lately about people who have gone before us in prior centuries. How they once walked and lived out their stories and are not just names in a book or on a cemetery stone. So many I would love to have known or "read" somehow... And maybe someday in heaven, we will... Beautiful post, Diane. God bless this woman!

Martha Herden said...

Diane-
This is a loving story about such a special woman. Obviously she will be loved in her passing as well in her life.

Its like God has put TWO Military people in your path-Two people whom you didn't know much about. But one is gone now, the other getting read to head into battle-his life getting ready to see things, do things---he never thought possible.

God knows you are listening with an open heart. thats all you have to do!

HE has sent you TWO special blessings.

(((blessings to you also))) martha

Diane Ronzino said...

Pecious Betty, in the midst of your crisis with Ace, you come by here to bless my heart with your words. Thank you! I'm humbled in your presence. Please do update us when you can. We love you and your husband.

Diane Ronzino said...

Floyd, you are so right - life truly is a vapor and it pauses for no one. It just keeps on going!

I love the name Ruth. I would have loved to know the story behind her naming.

The military funeral was rough. I lose it at the taps! thank God they didn't do the 21-gun salute. It was very special to honor her in this way.

Diane Ronzino said...

Aawww, Hazel... you are so warm and friendly. I think Ruth would have liked you! I am so blessed to have this opportunity to share Truth with these women.

A few months ago, Ruth came to me after Bible study and whispered she wasn't sure she was going to Heaven. As everyone left, I then shared God's Word with her and prayed with her.

She was secure in knowing where she would be going. I am blessed to know that.

Diane Ronzino said...

Pam, I'm glad you asked that. I guess I figured everyone would know. Forgive me for that.

A prayer plant folds up at night. It's leaves all come together as if hands were in a praying position. It really is cool. I put a note in with the plant saying that this plant would be a reminder of all Ruth's prayers for her family.

I hope they understood!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Martha. And you are right about the two military personnel. hhhmmm....what are You saying, LORD?

i truly have a burden for military wives and families. I don't know what to do with it. Maybe I'll think to ask Rob before he leaves.

Pam said...

Thanks for explaining about the plant. Sounds beautiful! Love the analogy and metaphor of it.

Kel Rohlf said...

Diane- What a testimony! Thanks for sharing Ruth's life with us. Her faithfulness encourages me to keep fighting the good fight and to remember my destination will be straight into the arms of Jesus when He calls me home.