Sunday, July 29, 2012

Treasures from a Guest Writer

I have been blessed by my Circle of Sharing here on this blog. What treasures you all have turned out to be - enriching my life in so many ways! 

I had been praying for men to become a part of our Circle here. (We could use a little man-perspective on things.) And thanks to Hazel's, Tell Me A Story, I found Floyd's blog, But By The Grace of God, There Go I.  And what a treasure his blog is! Truly. And low and behold he joined our Circle here. Thank You, Father, for answering my prayer with a man-writer whose heart is deep and tenderly reflects Yours.

I invited Floyd to share one of his writings here on an encouraging word. For those of you who may not be acquainted with Floyd's storytellings, it is my pleasure to share one of his stories. I hope you enjoy it and will frequent his blog. Your life will be enriched from reading his often-times deep messages hidden within his stories. 


Thank you, Floyd, for blessing us with your words!  God bless you!

                                                               MY TREASURE
                                                                                   by Floyd Samons
  
The old downtown main street was a world almost all but gone. Corporate giants have swallowed up the little main street shops like sharks do minnows, but these were the last of the Mohicans. People, individuals determined to give their all, go to the end.

Those are my type of people, so it made shopping and window-shopping a little easier while we were on vacation. Shopping isn’t my specialty, but it was vacation and we were with my wife’s brother and sister-in-law, so I tried to make them believe that I was a decent guy… No small task…

We strolled through all the old down town history. I patiently walked through or waited with Denny outside as my wife and Lisa meandered through every shop in town looking for the evasive once or twice in a lifetime treasure. I was still amazed at how seemingly insignificant things can become monumental, but like most situations in life, I was about to learn another lesson.

We were just past it when it caught my eye, “Hey!” – “Look at that?” -  “We’ve been in every other store, how bout’ that one!” I announced while pointing.

“A used book store,” my wife said flatly as she made the obligatory turn toward it.

It was old, small, really low ceilings, with the books stacked all the way up to it. It was like a treasure hunt, and I was the willing pirate. All of us found books we’d seen or heard of, but the treasure would be the one you didn’t know was the treasure until you found it.

My wife and Denny had already given up on their hunt as Lisa and I continued ours. Up high on a shelf, in the middle of the little store where the lighting was the poorest, I spotted it… My treasure…

I knew it immediately, in the cowboy paperback section of the store. I said it out loud as if I’d just changed the world… I didn’t, just mine… “Louis L’ Amour!” I plucked it out of the mass of books like it was gold. “Sackett,” I whispered.

I moved toward the check out table, “Look what I found!” I presented my treasure to Lisa as if it might be a treasure to her as well. She cocked her head sideways, politely letting me know she’d never heard of him. “You’ve never heard of him?” I asked a little shocked, “No, I haven’t,” Lisa admitted.

We were only a couple of feet from the cashier that experience told me was the owner. “Oh yeah, I read this book as a kid – it was my dad’s – he had tons of his books!” I explained to my sister in law. Turning to the owner, I asked, “How many books did he write?”  We book lovers know other ones when we see them, “About 57 or 58 I think,” she replied in a friendly tone then admitted to Lisa, “They really are quite entertaining!”

“Well I gotta have this!” I said sliding the book carefully toward the owner. She smiled again punching the old cash register, then slipped a book mark inside the old pages, slid it back, “No charge today,” she said kindly with a genuine smile.

I nodded, swallowed the lump in my throat from thinking about how my treasure got me a piece of my dad’s memory, “I can’t tell you how much this book means to me, thank you,” I said. I think she already knew…

I guess I understand a little bit more of how my wife and women in general feel about shopping. You never know what you might find out there that might remind you of a heritage passed down from a parent, mom or dad…Kinda like I did that day.

The day I found my priceless treasure… that didn’t even cost me a dime…
~~~~

Because of Him and Unto Him,




29 comments:

LOLITA said...

Thank you for this, Floyd.

I feel like I was there with you, and I too was divining on my own finds.

I hunt the used book shops too because I want to have more books for the cost of a new one.

The things that delight us are in shabby packages..... like a seashells that I collect.

Beautiful storytelling.

Diane Ronzino said...

Floyd, one of the things my oldest son and I have in common is old bookstores. I love to browse through with him. What treasures we behold!

And your story shows me just how much our Heavenly Father loves and cares for us - that He would lead you to that particular store to find that particular book, which connects you with your dad - and to get it for FREE no less! I praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

Betty said...

Great real life story Floyd...as usual you made us feel as if we were there with you. God is good givin you a little piece of your Dad. Glad you gain some understanding into why women can spend hours looking for a find that stir the heart. You were just blessed yours find did not take all day. Blessings my brother.

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Great story Floyd. One of my greatest treasures, one that I never see me getting rid of, is a gift given to me by a long deceased pastor. It is called Man of the Word{: The Life of G. Campbell Morgan. It is an original copy and at one point I read it every year. Treasure indeed.

Diane Ronzino said...

You all need to read Floyd's post entitled My Dad. It can be found at: http://theregoi.com/finding-floyd/my-dad-2/

That will show you the kind of heart this writer has!

Floyd said...

Thanks for sharing my words on your site today Diane. I'm truly honored. The best part of these little stories is that we all share something very similar in common, but the One that matters is our Father.

Thank you Lolita, I'm just discovering the treasure of a used book store!

Betty, you shouldn't be too surprised that I'm learning another life lesson! Thank you for your always kind and encouraging words.

Those are the best gifts aren't they Bill? The ones that are worth more than money? They give us a small piece of the ones we love.

Lincoln Parks said...

Floyd, what a story. You are definitely a great man for you to do that. When you find little gems like that book you can't but help to be excited and share that with others.

Lisa notes... said...

I'm not much of a shopper, but finds like that could turn me into one.

Your stories always carry meaning, Floyd. Beyond the literal words. I'm so thankful that you blog. You inspire me to look for God in everything around me.

Mike Shanta said...

Nice story, Floyd. I'm like you when it comes to shopping. My wife and daughter love it, but I'm bored to death if I have to go. The exception is old book stores. I could spend ours looking through them. It's especially cool when you find some of the old classics. It's sounds like you and your dad had a very special relationship.

Floyd said...

It really is the little things that are the real treasures of this life isn't Lincoln? Like the video of the game you play with your daughter you shared today, those are the true marvels of this life.

That's funny Lisa, I find the same things in your life that you share through your blog. We all have that in common I think; we've all witnessed the hand of God through our fellow writers and family of Christ that we've never met. It is amazing!

We're two peas in a pod Mike! I really am striving to find the joy in the shopping scenario, I know it's there. If not for the fact of spending time with our loved ones, then maybe in the fact that we might find a treasure!

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing, Floyd. Books are such wonderful treasures... especially ones that take us back to times and people we love.

Floyd said...

Thanks Pam. Very well said... That's exactly what it did for me.

A Joyful Noise said...

Finding a treasure is quite an experience. The bookstore owner knew how much you would treasure this book, and she wanted you to also receive it as a gift. It was her dad's and perhaps you reminded her of him.

Floyd said...

The owner was a treasure all by herself. I truly appreciate when a stranger has such a kind heart. It gives me hope. I guess I have found tons of treasures; being all my fellow writers in Christ. Thanks for the treasure Hazel!

Sylvia R said...

Heartwarming story, Floyd. So glad you shared it. My husband and I both love old book stores, too -- too much, maybe! I think we are always hoping for some treasure like that. Yours was indeed special -- and double, including the graciousness of the book store owner!

Ngina Otiende said...

Floyd, i love this observation "I guess I understand a little bit more of how my wife and women in general feel about shopping" :)

great insights as always.

Chuck Allen said...

As I was reading, I could share in your excitement. I love old bookstores. And, I think my college roommate read every single Louis Lamore book there was. Good memories.

You certainly found a treasure and that shop owner was amazing.

TC Avey said...

I tried this yesterday and it wouldn't go through, but I'm trying again!
Great job Floyd!
I love reading your posts.
I share your love for books. Finding one that speaks to you is priceless!

Floyd said...

It's comforting to know there are others like us out there isn't it? Thanks Sylvia!

I'm slow Ngina, but I'm catching on, we just have to look for the right things in life.

Thanks Chuck, I can't count the Louis, L' Amour books I read as a kid either, he brought the west to life.

Thanks for the kind words TC. I know we have much in common, one of which is that love for books.

Jay Cookingham said...

What a treasure indeed...a memory connection to your Dad...priceless!

Jason Stasyszen said...

That's why I have never minded shopping--the hunt and not knowing what you'll find! My dad used to read Louis L'Amour books too. He had so many of them! How sweet of the owner to do that for you. God was exhibiting His love and favor through that person. What a lesson indeed. Thanks Floyd.

Floyd said...

Thanks Jay. It is priceless... Some things money can't buy...

How true, she did demonstrate the love of God. I know you had to read some of those books too! Thanks Jason.

caryjo said...

Love it. And I most certainly understand. Been there, done that. Have dug and dug through old book stores and found bits that were such a blessing to me... filling me with good remembrances, instead of the the bad ones.

Blessings, Floyd.

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol medication tramadol 50 mg vs hydrocodone - tramadol and xanax

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol tramadol y ketorolaco - can tramadol overdose be fatal

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online no prescription cod day 2 tramadol withdrawal - tramadol online pharmacy no prescription

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online lethal dose tramadol - tramadol hcl 50mg tab north

Anonymous said...

order tramadol online tramadol overdose timeline - buy tramadol online no prescription cod

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan side effects blurred vision - ativan 1 mg vs xanax 1mg