Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Statue Is Worth A Thousand Words

I visited with someone from my church the other day. On her living room wall was a giant framed poster of a statue. It moved me deeply.

I came home and went online to find out about it and then to find a photo worthy of this extraordinary bronze statue, Born Again, by Dean Kermit Allison. This is the best I could find:

Born Again by Dean Kermit Allison



Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” ~ John 3:3
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. ~ II Corth. 5:17
Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin. ~ Romans 6:6-7
Wherefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. ~ Phil 2:12
I can look at this statue in one of a few ways:
  1. The man is struggling with his own flesh. Trying with all his might to rid himself of his sins; to make himself worthy of the glorious God that resides within him. Little does he know that it is only be the grace of God are we saved from our sins. It is a gift. There is nothing I can do to earn God's gift of salvation; and we don't have to "clean" ourselves up to be worthy. Without The Grace that covers our lives, none of us are worthy.
  2. The man is born again and "working out his own salvation with fear and trembling".
  3. The new creation is emerging - shedding the "old man".
Please share what you see as you mediate on this statue.

Because of Him and Unto Him,



15 comments:

TC Avey said...

My sisters church has this statue- it is very moving and powerful!

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, wow! Yes, it is very powerful! Thanks for sharing, TC!

Floyd said...

That is an amazing statue! I'm not big on art generally, but that has such deep meaning.

One of the thoughts I have about it is that is what we might look like from the other dimension, the spiritual side of the cosmos. We are in a battle with the flesh and as we defeat the flesh with the power of God from within that's what it might look like?

Ann Cocktale said...

This reminds me of the crucifiction. If Christ battled sin for my salvation, I must flex my spiritual muscles and work out the rest. I had never seen this statue before so thank you for sharing.

Diane Ronzino said...

That's a cool perspective, Floyd. Yeah...I can picture that!

Diane Ronzino said...

"Flex my spiritual muscles and work out the rest." Amen - that's what we do. Thanks Ann!

Veronica Shticks said...

And what a powerful interpretation, Diane!

Martha Herden said...

Diane-
How could anyone who looks at this amazing Spiritual Piece of Art-not be moved deeply by the image it portrays!!

Bless you for sharing this....

Martha

Betty said...

Never seen this before and so much comes to mind as I view it...all that has actually be shared so won't repeat.

My son wrote a song about his struggle with modern day Christianty...at first I did not get it...but now after listening to him a lot, I get it. Pondering someone else art or song or written word should cause us to listen well to what the Spirit is saying. This piece of art speaks volumns...thanks Diane. Blessings

Lolita said...

This makes me think more deeply as to how much I have shed off the old clothes. The figure looks like he is halfway off.

My, my, my.... this is a bump, I should say.

I need to ponder into my innermost if there are still chains that hasn't surfaced yet. Time to update my housekeeping, D.

Oh, for the woes of the flesh. God help me if a foot is yours and the other not!

thanks D..... so thought provoking.

Lolita said...

A thousand words indeed, my friend.

I could have filled the page.

Elaine Baldwin said...

Glad to find you through TC. I've not seen this statue before. It certainly reminds of the new man emerging at the time of our being born-again.

Tks for sharing.

Crown of Beauty said...

Thanks for sharing this amazing statue with us. It is a good poster to hang in my prayer room.

The man is shedding off his blackness, but it is such a struggle. The old skin is obviously tight, and requires much effort to take it off.

I see it as a picture of our struggle with the old nature. Although our spirits are renewed instantly, the moment we turn our lives over to Jesus, but our soul life is in the process of being renewed. It takes obedience... so I think this picture depicts the struggle in our soul to put off the old nature. Every step of obedience we take, a part of the old nature is removed from our soul.

Thanks for this post, Diane.

Love
Lidia

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you all for your thought-provoking insights. I'm so glad this statue touched you as it did me.

Betty, I agree with you about art, songs, etc.

Welcome, Elaine! Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Come back anytime!

A New Song said...

I am a little late to the party - not writing or being able to read my favorite blogs as much right now.

The statue was in our Christian bookstore and I SO wanted it, but it was out of my discretionary-money price range.
It speaks "Deliverance"....the process of a chrysalis...worm into a butterfly!

Sending my love from Cali!