Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sunday's Inspiration

Church. Communion.  The two go hand-in-hand.

Whether your church does it once a week or once a month, the celebration of The Last Supper is set apart as a sacrament of the world-wide church of Jesus Christ.

I do not believe that Communion is reserved for only once-a-week or once-a-month in a church. Nowhere in Scripture does it tell us that it must be administered to us via an ordained minister or priest in a place of worship.

Scripture does tells us that as often as we take it to do so in remembrance of all Jesus Christ did for us/all that His shed blood and brutalized body affords us. Therefore, whenever led by The Holy Spirit, I take Communion at home. On occasion, during difficult times or times of sickness, I will take it daily. I have a small cobalt blue glass plate and a matching goblet that are my Communion utensils.  They are used for no other purpose.

If I don't have wine, I'll use juice or water with a piece of bread or cracker.  In years passed, we would have it together as a family or as a way to bind us together with other Believers who were visiting with us.

Each of our three children left home right after high school graduation.  They didn't go off to college, they each went off to ministry internships.  From the time they left our nest, every time we would partake of communion, I would take two wines and two crackers.  I would take one set for me; the other set is for my children - splitting that one between Joe and I.  It's our way of covering them under the Blood of the Lamb; my way of keeping that spiritual connection to each of my children. Even now, as they live everywhere but here, I still do the same thing.

There was a time when my daughter's mother-in-law, Mari, was visiting with us from South Africa. In our conversing time, as we got to know each other, we realized that we both felt the same way about Communion.  We put our mugs of tea down and I got out my blue glass plate and goblet. We proceeded to have communion on behalf of her children/grandchild and my children. As we remembered all Jesus has done for us and our children, our heart-felt prayers and tears made it a very special moment of bonding between us. Even though Mari and I were worlds and cultures apart, we had a common thread - celebrating The Lord's Supper.

There truly is something very spiritual and holy about Communion. When you are alone and can take your time to really relish the remembering, The Lord Jesus meets you in ways you wouldn't have experienced otherwise.

May the precious Presence of our Lord fill your next Communion time in a very intimate way.

Because of Him and Unto Him,

9 comments:

Martha Herden said...

Diane-
Absolutely filled with the Holy Spirit!!

And to hear the True MOM in you, also being there in Communion with God and your children-pouring out such LOVE for your kids.

I am deeply touched by this wonderful post-and you have shared it so clearly, the message of Love for God could never be missed.


God bless you Diane. HE is right beside you, always.

Love and hugs, Martha

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Martha, I have missed you! Thanks for the love, hugs, and comments! All back to you!

Pam said...

I have been doing this every evening lately, before I go to bed...asking Him to pour all He did for me on the cross over me (and those I am lifting up to Him) and in me and through me. It's a beautiful way to go to sleep, too. I love your way of covering your children in His blood... thanks for sharing this, Diane.

Lolita said...

Why, yes D.

I should also do this with my family. Thank you for opening my eyes that I may not wait for Communion Sunday in Church. When I was in another place, in a church planting, we used to do this like a cottage service thing.. in different member homes.... so much like Acts time.

Now I am back in our Home of Mother church. I wait for the first Sundays to partake.

Such a lovely example.... guess I will be doing this too onwards.

Hugs and love to you.... how I missed you, my D.

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Lolita! How I missed you all in my Circle! I'm saying good night, but to you I say good morning! Have a wonderful Friday!

Floyd said...

I've never even thought of taking communion at home... which is really not like me to not think outside the box. Thanks for sharing, I love to learn and grow. God bless.

joy said...

That is trully Family bonding with God and with your earthly family. Very touching:)

Diane Ronzino said...

Great, Floyd! If you do take Communion at home, drop me a note and let me know how special it was for you.

Happy Memorial Day! Weekend!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Joy! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

God bless you!