Thursday, May 3, 2012

Famous Last Words

My mother-in-law's almost last words to me were, "You are my daughter. I love you".  Forever they are etched on the tablet of my heart. A truth I hold to.

King David's last words were to his son, the-soon-to-be-next-king, Solomon.  On his deathbed, the man whose heart was after God's own Heart, charges his son with these words in I Kings 2:2-3:

"Be strong, therefore, and prove yourself a man.  And keep the charge of The LORD, your God: to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His Commandments, His judgements, and His testimonies, as it is written in The Law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn."

There was more to it, but this is how he began his final exhortation to his son.

"BE A MAN!" was the essence of his opening words. He followed it by painting a picture of what a man is: one who walks in the ways of our LORD and is a doer of God's Holy Word.

King David reminded Solomon, who grew up in the shadow of his king/priestly father, of what the result of that would be: that Solomon would prosper in all he would do and wherever he would turn.

Wow!  Those are powerful last words! One that Solomon took to heart, as we know he is known as the wisest man who ever lived, and his monetary wealth was staggering to the senses.

Have you ever given thought to what your last words to your family would be?  Why not pray and then write them down? Keep them in a place where your family will find them when the time comes that you are absent from your body and in the eternal Presence of The LORD.  It is something that will forever be etched on the tablet of their hearts, maybe even setting the course of their lives, as it did King Solomon.

Because of Him and Unto Him,

8 comments:

Crown of Beauty said...

This is beautiful, Diane. Just today I was thinking of my two young daughters in law, and how much I really love them both... so much so that I do not even want to call them my daughters in law, but my "daughters."

Yes I was thinking of that this morning as I was praying for my family... and now I get to read this post - how beautiful your mother in law's words were to you.

David's words to Solomon are quite powerful. I should really think of what last words to say to my children. I plan to leave them with an appropriate blessing. A blessing will empower them to prosper and go up higher into their destiny.

Thanks for this important reminder.

I scrolled down to read all the posts of yours I had missed. I can't do last week's Bible study that I missed, but I read through the lesson.

Love the idea of wearing a covenant ring.

Thanks for the kind words you left for me at my April 30 blog post. Yes, I will need to adjust to living life without my dear British friend...

Love
Lidia

Martha Herden said...

Diane-
A beautiful post-filled with scripture that causes me to pause and give much thought to-

First of all, I do pray the Lord will bless both myself and Matt with a long life together-where we can grow old, sit on a porch and talk about how things are moving too fast (a memory I have of My Parents doing, My Grandparents also and my Great- Grandparents-all speaking those words!)

That in itself is a very special blessing!

As to any last words I would wish to leave my Husband and friends with-"I thank GOD for all of you in my life-for giving me SO much LOVE! I pray you know how deep my LOVE is for all of you!"

For my son-"I forgive you."

That one is the hardest of all..

Thank you Diane. Your words that I know GOD sends to you-help us all.

Love, martha

Diane Ronzino said...

Lidia,

Isn't it something how God works?! You are on one side of this planet and I am on the other and yet, The Holy Spirit knows exactly what somoeone else needs to hear or have confirmed. I wasn't even planning on writing anything. And this suddenly came to me. So, I do believe it was God.

What a special mother-in-law you must be to consider your son's wives your own daughters. I could just hug you. When my son-in-law asked to marry our daughter, Alece, I accepted him as my son. Even though he has since divorced her, the love bond - the sonship he holds in my heart - is still there. It makes it most difficult. I know my children, none of which have their own children yet, do not understand. I pray one day they will.

I ache for your ache over missing your treasured friend. Even though the miles cannot separate your bond, not have her their to have breakfast with and shop with, etc. will be a loss. I send you a hug!

Diane Ronzino said...

Martha, what a heritage you have! It's so, so special!

Yes, we do know, but thank you for saying so!

And thank you for sharing your note to your son. I know how hard that is, but God will bless you for it! And he will one day need to know he had your forgiveness.

Bless your heart!!!

Diane Ronzino said...

P.S. Martha, I left a comment on your comment over at Judi's blog.

Lolita said...

Yes, our blessings of words spoken to and for our children, or even to friends and close family members, could take wings upon the recipients' life, opening and pouring out abundance from heaven.... and will empower and enrich them through life. Something that made your own love to overflow, even to reach the orient seas where I am, with the blessing of knowing you and your friendship.

I love you, D.

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Lolita, my words cannot top yours. So, I "ditto" them back to you, beloved! Thank you! Huggies!

Pam said...

I'll never forget how when at the end of my mom's life she could barely say any words, but she could always spontaneously say "I love you." Those words hold life in them. I'm so glad you heard them from your mom in law and that you had a special relationship with her.