Sunday, March 25, 2012

Recap

"It would be as if you had seen one another yesterday. The flood of remembrance will come even if it was just in childhood; but, the heart that knows another heart will never forget. You only have to fill in on the gaps...update each other, and it would be like you never parted ways."
These were words Lolita encouraged me with in her comment to the post about yesterday's reunion with my childhood friend, Marie (I won't post Marie's photos, as I didn't think to ask her permission yesterday.)

How absolutely prophetic those words were.

Memories came. We laughed and teared up; we hugged and embraced each other's life-stories. And our hearts truly seemed to know each other. We even have, today, things in common.

I must say that our balconies and backyards that we used to play in seemed so much smaller than we remembered. We were in awe of that.

We walked by the "witch's" house and passed Margie's house. I did stop and reflect, but the trauma of standing alone on that sidewalk was gone...there was only pure joy at the remembrance of Margie and Connie.  Now, that is inner healing that only Jesus can do in us. I praise His Name!

We walked by our old school, and sat in Kissena Park talking for a long time.

Marie treated me to a delicious lunch and then, purposefully, drove by my old Lutheran Church - still standing on that city corner with it's red doors.

There were a few real highlights. But, I'll only share two:

Marie told me something about my father that her mom told her - something I needed to know (even if it is almost 60 years later).

The second highlight:

I parked my car by our apartments and I got out. I stood still looking up at our balconies on the second story - mesmerized.  Then out of the corner of my eye I saw red. The red emergency box was still on a pole on our corner. I ran over to it, caressing it, feeling the childhood familiarity. The little girl in me truly felt like I had come home.

In the 1950's there was no such thing picking up a phone and dialing 911.  If you needed the police or there was a fire, you would have to run outside to the nearest emergency box and open either the fire or police cap, then press the appropriate button.  We were fortunate enough to have the emergency box on our corner - close enough to get to in an emergency.

There must have been a sense of security in that for this young girl, because when we moved out to Stewart Manor (the country), there were no emergency boxes on any street corner. None. I can remember the day that I realized that.  Fear came over my little heart.  What do you do in an emergency?!  It was most unsettling to this little six year old and I think that added to the misery I was already in.

I can't help but wonder this morning what life would have been like had we stayed in Flushing. If I had grown up a "city girl" rather than a "country girl".  Wow...with my family's tendencies toward certain bents, I would have been in big trouble! Plus, I never would have met my husband, nor have my children that I have.

God knew then.

God knows now. Yeah for that!

I leave you with a few verses from my favorite Psalm - 139.

For Your formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

Marvelous are Your works and that my soul knows very well.
My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in secret,
  and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your Book they were all written,
The days fashioned for me, when yet there was none of them.

God knew then.

God knows now. Double yeah!

Thank you for sharing my journey back home with me. 

Because of Him and Unto Him,

8 comments:

Pam said...

God is good! Sounds like He gave you a wondrous gift yesterday. Hope and pray what your friend revealed about your dad was somehow healing. May your friendship with Marie blossom even more from now on.

I don't remember those emergency boxes. I do remember that there was a number 411 to call where I grew up...but not sure when that came in to existence.

Martha Herden said...

Diane-
Your journey back home was a very special Gift to you-that I feel came from God, as HE knew the path for your Life from the moment you were conceived.

HE filled you with inner grit and strength-then topped it off with a major layer of glowing Spiritual Love, which would always be the most beautiful part of YOU.

The photos are wonderful, especially the ones with the Emergency box!

This reunion was designed by God and I am sure the memories of this day will be with you throughout your life. What a blessing for you dear Diane- indeed a very special blessing.

All my love to you. Martha

Christina Berry said...

It sounds like you and Marie had a great reunion, Diane! I'm so glad!

And I'm glad you were a "country girl", and that you met your husband and had your children, because they're awesome! So are you! :)

Veronica Shticks said...

Diane, what a sweet, sweet account! The pictures were perfect!

Lolita said...

Yeah!!!! hallelujah!!!!

That completed the "full circle" of your connection to and with Marie.

You will no longer hunger for the time you had an unfinished goodbye, curtailed experiences of your friendship and growing up together.

God led you to different life situations and yet He has reconnected you again..... now that you are both mature. His timing is always perfect!

Hugs to you both, and God bless you as you are now entwined again. All the parts should fit snugly.

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, all!!!!

A Joyful Noise said...

I wanted to visit my old childhood friend, but waited and put it off. A few months later I received a phone call from her daughter that she did not recover from heart surgery. I pays to obey when God lets you know to visit your friends and to let them know you love them. God is ever present and our constant help when in trouble. He does not need an appointment!

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Hazel, I'm so sorry for your missed opportunity. I've been there myself. I know what that feels like. And you're so right, God is our ever present help in times of trouble or need. Thank you for sharing!