Friday, February 17, 2012

The Voice of The Martyrs

Many years ago, I cut the following story out from The Voice of the Martyrs magazine that I am subscribed to and I pasted it in my Bible. Mrs. Ying's story still causes me to weep and to question my own faithfulness to the value of God's Holy Word.
~~~

Clinging to The Word

Mrs. Lu Ying had tears in her eyes when she received The Bibles from the courier. She clutched The Books with a firm grasp.  Holding The Bibles wasn't easy for this tiny woman, her hands were deformed.  When asked about the swollen and twisted fingers, Mrs. Ying related the following story: 

"I have not always been like this.  My fingers were straight and strong.  During the Cultural Revolution, the young Red Guards came to my home like everyone else's.

"They took what little furniture I had and all my other belongings.  In searching for Bibles, they overturned everything, and found my precious Book.  The four soldiers could easily have pried The Bible from my small hands, as I grabbed it.  Instead, they mocked me, asking if I really believed in a book of myths.

"I told them the Book contained all that I needed to know about my dear Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and that I did not want to part with it.  The Red Guards took me outside.  For three hours, they mocked me, spat on me, and hit me until I could hardly stand.  Others joined in their cruelty.

"I was then asked a second time if I still believed in that book of myths.  Clutching The Bible close to my heart, I gave the same answer as before.  This infuriated the young soldiers.  They threw me to the ground, trampled on me, and with iron bars, they smashed my hands, causing The Bible to slip out of my grasp.  I lost my Bible and ended up with crippled, deformed hands."

It is impossible to place material value on this dear Believer's Bible. Knowing the solders would eventually confiscate her precious Book, she held on until her hands were physically broken and unable to secure The Bible.  Over 20 years would pass before this elderly Chinese woman would once again cling to God's Word, her hands a reminder of it's worth.

How Much Is Your Bible Worth?

~~~
I encourage you to click on The Voice of the Martyrs badge on the right side of my blog, but take your time visiting their site. There are different ways you can help those imprisoned for their faith in Jesus Christ - from interceding, to collecting blankets, or sending cards of encouragement to the imprisoned or letters to those in authority asking for their release, or just sending money to the ministry.

We, in the land of the FREE, can do something to help our brothers and sisters in Christ who are held captive in the bowels of prisons clinging to Hope and being tortured just because they are Believers. On their site you can order a FREE copy of Richard Wurmbrand's book Tortured for Christ.  Your Christian walk will never be the same!

May your heart be broken by the things that break the Heart of God!

Because of Him and Unto Him,
                 Diane

4 comments:

Lolita said...

Wow, the first time I read this last Saturday, Diane, I have to say to myself not to write anything because I was trembling. Mrs. Lu Ying is a modern day martyr. Words is not enough to utter for such a deed and courage. I vow down reverently and needed my silence.

Even reflecting on Job, I told myself, "I am a sinner, Job was found by God blameless, yet I have never been put into such situation." I know my God will not give me troubles beyond my capability but thinking of those who suffered to such extent as being persecuted to bodily pain, I so deeply honour.

Thanks for sharing this, Diane. Reading this the second time, still makes my heart pound strongly.

Diane Ronzino said...

I had a feeling it would touch your heart as it did mine. Her story has been inside my Bible cover for years. Did you go over to The Voice of the Martyers site? You can order a free copy of their book. It's life changing. Thank you for sharing your heart with me, Lolita.

Lolita said...

I did go to their site, Diane, but like most free publications are, they are only limited to the US. Thanks anyway.

Diane Ronzino said...

oh, yes....I'm sorry, I should have remembered that. I'll get you a copy.