Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Plank Removal

As light dawns a thin line on the horizon, I'm sitting in my unlit living room with a cup of coffee, gazing out the window. I look over at my sleeping Collie. I focus my eyes. What is that next to him?  Lying next to him is...what is that? My shoe?!


Puppy, Kodak, with my moccasin
Kodak is just a little over two years old now.  As I was preparing to bring a puppy into my home, I saved an old leather moccasin of mine as a toy for him.  He loved that moccasin!  I saved it intentionally, figuring that if he went after one of our shoes, I could reprimand him and hand him the moccasin.  It worked. It only took two corrections and Kodak never again went after our shoes.

So...now, I'm sitting here staring at the shoe and trying to figure out why Kodak would go into my bedroom and take it, and wondering if it now had teeth marks in it. I gaze out the window and then turn my head back to look again. My eyes refocus in the darkened room. Yep, it's my brown shoe!  I huff a great big huff and my heart starts pounding. At 6 AM, I'm already upset. But, I continued to sit in the stillness. I'll deal with Kodak later. 

I turn back to the window and light is slowly transforming the nighted-sky. I keep my gaze and my thoughts. But, my living room is a little more illuminated now, so once again I turn toward the shoe.  The brown shoe has "transformed" into Kodak's brown, stuffed toy. I sigh. Not a sigh of relief, but of conviction.
Everything is not as it appears to be. Do not judge according to appearances, but judge with a righteous judgement. ~John 7:24
We can be very quick to judge each other. We perceive this and that about this or that situation, this or that about a person, or this or that about ourselves.  What we perceive may not be real, but it certainly is our reality and we adjust our lives accordingly.

We know that we know. So, doesn't that make it true?

I was convinced this morning the dark thing next to Kodak was my brown shoe.  It took the dawning light to illuminate my mistake in judgement.

And so it takes the Light of Jesus Christ to illuminate the dark places that cast shadows upon our mental or verbal judgements.  We may perceive something to be true, but just the opposite may be truth.  It may very well just be a mistake in judgement.

If you have ever been on the wrong end of someone's perceptions about you, it can be life altering.  Your motives and actions aren't just questioned, they are qualified. The other person knows that he knows that he knows this and that about you. They believe it to be real and thus they adjust their lives and their relationship with you according to that belief - all to everyone's detriment, causing much pain and sorrow.

The pain is real, but the cause of that pain may not be.  Acknowledging a wrong perception of someone's actions can bring remarkable healing to a very painful situation. So, I encourage you to apologize if that is the case. And if you are on the wronged-side, I encourage you to not only forgive, but to tell that person - sharing from your heart. As the act of forgiveness can truly be healing to the situation or relationship.

May God's Word illuminate our thoughts and intents of our hearts.
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye.  ~John 7:1-5
I'm so glad I didn't get up and reprimand Kodak.  Although I know he would not have pointed out the plank in my own eye. Dogs are great about things like that!

Because of Him and Unto Him,
                  Diane

10 comments:

Betty said...

Diane, yesterday in our work shop we as small group discussed "comparing" "comparing" and "gossip", relationship killers. Our group took "judging" and talked about what kills and then what restores a relationship, what effect does judging do to a community of people, family, church family, tribal family, etc. It was very revealing as we role played what happens in making a wrong judgement, what cause us to do that, etc.

Went to bed with it all on my mind...woke up to read your blog post...do believe God is double working this in my life. Thanks my friend, revealing post for this wanna be wise hearted woman. Blessings

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Betty, thank you for saying this. I really struggled with posting this one. I'm working on the next post which is a personal testimony of what God did to restore, when I judged so wrongly! My prayer is that God will use these two posts in a powerful way.

I'm glad we're on the same wave length!

Bari said...

Thank you for a timely word!!! God uses the things of our daily life to illustrate His mercy and love and protection. Thank you again for your plank...it helped me SEE mine today!

Diane Ronzino said...

Welcome, Bari! Thank you for commenting! We ALL have planks, but thanks be to God for His mercy and love! I hope you will check back to read the next post which is one of my many testimonies of the Lord's work in my soul.

Pam said...

Beautifully written, Diane! And your correlations are so true. I'm glad you posted it.

This story reminds me of something shannon posted recently on Twig and Feather - her "Forgiven' post. If you go there, just scroll down to read it. I think she posted it originally on her other blog, because it seemed familiar... and I think there was more detail back then. But it was a story of how God can heal those situations...

Diane Ronzino said...

Thanks, Pam, I'll go read her story!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

That was a lovely post, Diane!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Sheryl. I appreciate you stopping by!

Lolita said...

I am reading this post, perhaps several hours late after you posted it. But something happened yesterday in my Boss's office which rendered me on the wronged side. I was defending someone he thought was not doing his job which put me on the spotlight. He something like this...."then maybe you are the problem." Of course, I did not answer back to defend myself in front of him. I went back to my office and a tears starred(adopted from Pam) my eyes as I read the Bible and prayed. I forgave my boss and I praised God because He delights in me for I am His. Somehow, it relived my aching heart. I leaned on my God for support.

Thanks for this Diane, it reaffirmed and
eased away the pain of being wrongly judged.

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Lolita! Thank you for sharing. I can feel the warm of those tears. You did the right thing so quickly. What a lesson for us all to learn. Thank you for sharing my sweet friend. May you have a wonderful day at work today!