Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cancel the Cruise Control

Highway driving and cruise control go hand-in-hand. With a click of a button, we can just cruuuise-on-down-the-highway.

But, what about life? Are we on cruise control - doing the same old things, saying the same old things, writing the same old way; praying and praising The LORD the same old way? Have you ever stopped to think, "Is my life on cruise control?"

Hhmm...Is mine?

We remotely go through our daily lives without much thought because we're on cruise control. We get up at a certain time, have so many cups of coffee in the morning, shower at the same time, and walk out the door at the same time, eat meals at the same time, etc.

Isn't that a good thing? After all, we are creatures of habit, right?

Habits can be good.  Habits can form guidelines in areas of our lives. And guidelines are good, unless they become just another habit, in which case, we just cruise on through - remotely.

Does cruise control also dictate the flow of our spiritual lives?  Even in non-denominational churches, we go through each Sunday service the same, week in and week out.  We worship with a set number of songs, allow this much time for the preaching of The Word, we end the service at the same time, etc.

Do we pray the same way all the time (close our eyes, bow our heads, fold our hands; in the morning/before bed)?

Do we worship in the same manner all the time? (Standing in reverence, but don't ask me to lift my hands, or to kneel, or can you imagine...?  Dancing.)

Notice the words: cruise CONTROL.

How much of this cruising along is really us keeping control on our lives?  Or have we given creative license to The Holy Spirit?

God is a creative God and He infused His creativity into the human race. He desires us to walk through this journey of life creatively, not the same old way, day in and day out like robots.

As someone who has walked with Jesus for almost 29 years, I want to cancel the cruise control on my spiritual life and give creative license to The Holy Spirit. I don't want my prayer life, my worship life, my anointing to be the same old, same old. I want to be free to receive, free to experience, free to express the newness of the Abundant Life that Jesus has each day for me.

Will you join me in clicking "CANCEL" on the cruise control on our spiritual lives?  We will be in for the ride of our lives! FREEDOM! WAHOO!

Because of Him and Unto Him,
                  Diane

4 comments:

Lolita said...

Yes, Diane. It is true, we are prone to do things in a set manner and most often we loose the spontaneity of each situation. We go through things methodically like programmed robots. I, for one, tend to like the "as the spirit leads" kind of thing. But we are too controlled especially in our budget of time that we often are distracted by looking once in a while at the clock. Thus the invention of all instant products and gadgets.

At one particular phase of my spiritual journey, me and my husband were privileged to work with an American couple who came from Nebraska. During this time they were working with us in one of our church planting. We distributed tracks together, visited homes who were interested to know more about Jesus, shared the gospel together, and at the same time trained us to lead cell groups. We learned so much from them than from my home church. We were always in the fields to sow and plant. The best thing I learned from them is not to focus on the program but on people. Our motto was "People over Program." It has been my personal guiding principle.

Yes, Diane, I am with you in this too.

Pam said...

I'm realizing lately how easy it is to fall into just asking Him and not spending time seeking his presence just because we love Him. So I agree... I want to get off the "cruise control."

Diane Ronzino said...

That is so awesome about the couple from Nebraska. I love the motto: People Over Programs. Yes, American churches could very well learn that!

Diane Ronzino said...

Amen, Pam!