Saturday, December 17, 2011

It's In Us All

I saw the movie, The Help, yesterday and it has stirred a myriad of emotions within me. I've started several posts each stemming from what was going on within my soul from watching the movie.  I even managed a whole Christmas message through it.  But, I wasn't at peace with any of them, so I knew that wasn't what The Holy Spirit wanted me to share. So, I deleted again, and here I am this morning typing out yet another portion of what watching The Help caused to surface in my heart.  Please bear with me as I try to communicate it...

One of the things that impacted me from the movie was the courage of these every-day women. African-American women lived life as they did in the 1950-60's, because society was slow to change.  But, these women found courage from deep within and regardless of what could have been a life-threatening outcome, they courageously moved forward. It resulted in history being changed. There was a high cost to their courageous acts. There always is. Courage and cost go hand-in-hand.


After watching the movie, I went to sleep thinking, I don't have courage.  I've never faced insurmountable odds and had to take a stand for something like these women did.  I haven't changed history.  I fell asleep feeling so inadequate in comparison to these courageous, risk-taking women.  As a result, the wonderful The Holy Spirit played some of my life back to me this morning.  He reminded me that I am an intercessor and it's in prayer that I am most bold and courageous.  I've taken stands against evil in the Spirit realm on behalf of many. I have plowed through the realms of darkness so that other's could get a glimpse of God's Light. Many have been set free or had dramatic, miraculous changes in their lives. And as a result, their personal history's changed. This morning The Holy Spirit also reminded me of the occasions when I've taken bold, courageous risks in the natural world as well.  One in particular changed our personal history.

Thirty one years ago, my father did the unspeakable to one of my children.  After many agonizing hours on my face in prayer, I made a decision. A war raged in my soul as I counted the cost and mustered all the courage I could to implement my decision. I severed all ties to my immediate family. Extended family members and friends of the family didn't understand my actions, so they, in turn, wrote me off. Through all these years of raising my children, I had none of my family to rely on. I had none to visit with, no birthdays to celebrate, no one to chit chat on a phone with, no one to get angry with, or to laugh or cry with. And now that I'm an empty-nester, it seems the loneliness can be soul crushing at times with no family to interact with. That was the cost of my stand. It's only through The Holy Spirit showing me this morning that I realize it was a courageous act on my part.  With all my fear and trembling back then, it certainly didn't seem so at the time.  I've paid a high personal price to keep my children safe from the deviant predators in my family line, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. The Holy Spirit showed me this morning that taking that stand against evil did require courage and it did change history. l know my children probably don't fully realize what they were spared from. And that is a good thing. Only I know - all too intimately - what perverted harm my family was capable of inflicting upon my children.  I thank God our history was changed.

Courageous acts come in all forms, shapes, and sizes.  What makes the act courageous, is that you take that risk knowing that there could be some perverse outcomes. Jesus was a risk-taker, as were the Apostles. Men and women who have shaped The United States of America's story have been courageous, risk-takersWith The Holy Spirit's stamp of approval, I share a minuscule part of my history - history that was changed through a courageous act.

Courage is in us all just waiting to be needed. And when it is, that courage will be a history changer!


Because of Him and Unto Him,
                  Diane

22 comments:

pam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you for your encouraging words and your transparency, Pam. We have so much in common.

We are blessed with much in this life. And we must keep our focus on that. I have to work at it sometimes, but for the most part, I am successful.

The Help really churned up emotions in me. I have a dear friend who is African American who must have been a young adult in Georgia during that time period. I know she went through things I only see in the movies. She is a very courageous woman, but my heart aches at what she must have endured.

Thank you again for your loving encouragement!

Martha Herden said...

Diane-
Never for even one split second ever DOUBT your COURAGE again! There are so many women who suffer at the hands of an abusive spouse (my sister endured Hellish beatings for over ten years) and I would be so frustrated as to why she would not leave, but after the last horrible beating she took, something (courage) found its way to the surface and she stood up, left, raised her children and managed on her own. Yes-scars run DEEP-those never go away, but the decision you made all those years ago-that my dear is tremendous Courage! God was standing right beside you in all that Pain and He continues to be there with you.

In the comment left from "Pam" I also want to express how amazing your COURAGE level is! Its so easy in this fast paced life of people appearing to have EVERYTHING-when if the "curtain" was lifted for a few seconds, we would probably see a ton of Pain there too, because nothing in this life is easy. There are so many times for each person who must reach down so DEEP to find that inner courage to face hard times in life, the deep lonely hours when nobody is around and we are faced with our hurts and they can seem at times to be simply TOO BIG--but GOD is BIGGER than anything, any issue and HE will lead us each second by His precious Love! I have been very touched by this Post Diane and Pam, so moved too by your amazing comment.

God bless you both. Stay strong, lean hard on Faith and as I always say, "keep looking for even a second of Joy each day!" God Bless. Martha Herden

Betty said...

Thank you Pam for your sweet comment you left on my blog. I just finished reading your latest post and want to say your act of courage years ago was right up there with those women in "The Help".
I bear scars from deep wounds inflicted on myself, two brothers and my mother from an abusive alcoholic father. Years later, age 35 I got saved and begin to learn of the healing balm of forgiveness that turn wounds into scars. God delight in using those scars to help others work through their own wounds. There is even a song, Scars Are A Sign Of Healing.

Years ago I did a study on the wise hearted women of Exodus that helped build the tablnacle. In the KJV they are called wise hearted or willing hearted. It became a deep desire to become a wise hearted woman. Years later while serving in Papua New Guinea I added the word courageous to my desire after doing a study on courage and posted about it. I knew I was in the presence of a courageous wise hearted women as I ready your blog.

You are an excellant writer, something I so desire to become. I have desire when we make our next move to southern California to have the time to take some course in writing and learn more about blogging. Our lives have been busy with ministry that requires face to face contact. Also we have lived in places where internet is not alway available. Due to heath reasons we will be involved with a state side minsitry, enjoying internet all the time. I write this in the car as we drive to visit a young couple needing help...amazing. My sweet husband bought me my own computer too....blogging here I come.

Would love to meet you face to face but will continue to dip into your post and be encouraged. Betty

Lolita said...

Hello, Diane!

I saw your comments at Pam's blog. It is just today that I was able to visit yours. Thanks for this post about courage. I shall come back later to read some more.

P.S. Pam's comment has given me more insight to her personal experiences. I admire her too for sharing her life with us through her blog knowing that she too needs her share of encouragement. Praise God for people like you both..... acting on His prodding to share some lights to others who need them.

Diane Ronzino said...

Martha, what beautiful, encouraging words for not myself, but Pam. Thank you for taking the time to read and "hear" with your heart! I'm so glad we're all becoming friends!

Diane Ronzino said...

Betty, welcome to my blog and my little "family" of other Godly women who visit. Thank you for your very kind words and sharing your heart. I am most blessed and honored to be considered a "courageous, wise-hearted" woman of God. I stand among you and the other woman who share on this blog.

I do believe our stumbling upon each other is a Divine Appointment. Since our daughter no longer needs our Missionary support, I've been praying for another Missionary to support in all ways. I'm very excited to get to know you!

Diane Ronzino said...

Welcome, Lolita, to my little "family" here on my blog. Thank you so much for not only taking the time to read, but to comment. I appreciate your kind words.

I think what Pam has shared here on this post has been such a blessing. I believe the more transparent we are, the greater our Light shines to those around us and our Father gets glory!

I look forward to getting to know you and reading your blog.

Diane Ronzino said...

To all you Vessels of Honor who have shared on this post: I truly am most blessed by the transparency and openness. Thank you for trusting this little blog to be a place where we can share intimate, heart issues and trusting that we will all be a source of encouragement to one another. THANK YOU!

Lolita said...

Thanks for the welcome, Diane.

I just love to read, not much of a writer myself. I did open a blog way back in 2008 but that was for Compassion International. I work with one of the projects here in the Philippines supported by Compassion International. I did not come around writing articles because I don't think I am capable.

I thank God I got your blog and Pam's.

Diane Ronzino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Lolita! I welcome you all the way from the Pillipines! Compassion International is such a wonderful organization. I'm sure you are blessed to work with them.

And to encourage you about blogging: you do write beautifully and from your heart. And that is what blogging is all about, which makes the pefect blogger in my mind. It's not necessarily the eloquence of our words, but the message of our heart. At least that's how I feel about it.

I consider Pam a "writer" - truly exquisite! If I compared myself to her, I wouldn't write anymore. I started blogging (I started and stopped at least 3 other blogs) truly lacking confidence. My daughter, who is a writer also, gets hundreds of people on her blog. She is kind of a "celebrity" in the blogging world. Everywhere she travels, she meets people who follow her blog. So, I'm always most intimidated. But, I believe we all have stories to tell and messages that can help others.

It is the Christ in me that I want to share and truly desire to shine through my writing.

Someday, if you have something you'd like to share, I would welcome you to be a "guest" writer. It doesn't have to be perfect, just from your heart.

I look forward to getting to know you better. God bless you!

Lolita said...

Now, dear Diane, that's the best encouragement I have ever gotten (or perhaps the kindest). Thank you so much.

I will pray for that moment of confidence and perhaps.....from the outpouring of the Holy Spirit who will move me.

"Sorry Lord for times that I did not know, sometimes I humble myself falsely when in fact there is pride hiding behind it."

This is the link of my blog which I abandoned. LOL! http://compassionadvocacy.blogspot.com/

Pam said...

Martha and Lolita... Thanks for your kind words to me here too... :)

Diane Ronzino said...

Your very welcome, Lolita! And I do look forward to you writing! Thank you for the link to your old blog. I will check it out!

Diane Ronzino said...

Lolita, I just checked out your Compassion blog. You write very well! And your photos - they speak a thousand words!

Maybe one day you will do a blog about being a Christian in the Phillipines, coupled with photos of everyday life. I know I would love that.

I don't know if you got my email, but I was inquiring if you were OK from the floods. I don't know where that took place in relation to where you live. Please let me know.

Lolita said...

Thank you for your concern, Diane. I am in the central part of the Philippines in an island called CEBU. Although we are in the path of that particular typhoon, we only suffered heavy rains and wind but we did not experience the flash flood like what happened in the southern part. Those affected were living at the funnel bottom of the catch basin which they shouldn't have. Despite warnings by the government they refused to be relocated before that tragedy happened. Too much life and property are lost. That part needs our prayers and aid.

Thank you, Diane, for your thoughts. I am safer here where we are. Cebu is an island province. It is the second metropolitan after Manila.

Lolita said...

Diane,

Please send me an e-mail again at lolitv@gmail.com. I did not receive your e-mail regarding the storm. Pardon because I don't know much how to get around the web.

There is something I'd like to consult with you.

Thanks.

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, Lolita! I'm so glad that you are safe. Thank you for letting me know. Did you get the second email to your gmail account? I hope so. I am waiting to hear from you.

God bless you, on this the Eve of our Saviour's birth! Hallelujah!

Lolita said...

Yes, Diane, I got your second E-mail. Happy Birthday to our Lord Jesus! and Merry Christmas to you and the whole family. God bless us all!

agenuineglimpse.com said...

WOW. The beauty and power of your words here have left me stunned. With courage comes cost - it is so true.

Even more, I am amazed that you would doubt your own bravery given what you have endured in your own life. I applaud your courage and yet my heart hurts for what it has cost you. It has to have been so difficult to not have your immediate family to turn to over all these years, and I pray that God has surrounded you with His own loving presence and others to love on you all.

Thank you for sharing, and for reminding us all of what it means to be courageous. The Help was breathtaking and convicting both as a book and a movie, one that I will forever know has made me a better person by reading it.

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you for your kind, encouraging words, Sheryl. The Scripture, "When your father and mother forsake you, The Lord will take you up" and "The Lord puts the solitary in families" has certainly been true in my life!
My God has become my daddy and mommy and over the years, in all our serving in churches, we definitely became part of families.

I should have wrtten that...

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!