Friday, November 25, 2011

The Morning After...

It's the morning after Thanksgiving and here I sit - on my couch, typing away.  I've been viewing life from the couch for the last five weeks because of an injury to my leg. I've been discontent and whiny that I cannot do for myself; angry because I've been experiencing such pain; wallowing in self-pity because I looked terrible and felt just the same. However, as of yesterday, my leg seems so much better.

My eldest son, Michael, has come week after week (sometimes staying over night) to do household chores, run my errands, take care of the dogs, cook, and serve me couch-side. Yesterday was Thanksgiving and I was depressed that someone else was going to have to do what I normally would do.  My pride seemed as wounded as my leg and I was fighting laying on this couch every step of the way.

Last Thanksgiving there were 13 family and friends at my joyous table.  With lying on the couch and unable to do even the smallest of things, I was not looking forward to Thanksgiving at all. I couldn't decorate or unbox and clean my holiday dinnerware.  I was huffy that I had to use my everyday dishes. But, Michael, came. Stayed. Cleaned. Cooked. Served. As difficult as it was for me, I finally surrendered to God about my situation, and I finally allowed myself to receive being served. It truly is a blessing to be served instead of doing the serving, once pride is out of the way.  As the four of us held hands at the dinner table, I was urged to give thanks.  I opened my mouth and the tears flowed in grateful appreciation for God's blessings; especially, for my son who has served me for all these weeks so that I could rest and heal.  Rest, heal, and be humbled.

It's been a most humbling five weeks. Maybe, just maybe, on this morning after, God feels I've learned my lesson. After all, He tells us to humble ourselves.  If we don't, He will.
God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.  Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty Hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time. ~ I Peter 5:5-6
The morning after...My leg is much better today. Thank You, Father!  This morning, for the first time in five weeks, I came down the stairs normally.  WAHOO! (I've been crawling up and down the stairs as the dogs wait patiently behind me, concerned over the injured one.) Today, I've been up and around. Doing. Even outside on this beautiful Long Island autumn day - doing.  And grateful to be able to just "do".

Sometimes I've wondered if any of my adult children have any of me in them.  Do you ever wonder that?  Each one is so individual and I see the character likeness of their father in them, but I've wondered about me.  The last few weeks, I've seen me in Michael and I'm blessed that my Heavenly Father has allowed me to see the answer to that nagging question of my heart.  Had I not be couch-ridden, I never would have "seen".  Instead of just indignantly viewing life from the couch, now I see the blessings I would have missed had I not been on the couch.  Thank You, my Lord!  God has mysterious ways; but always with our best interest at heart. And always, He adds unexpected, undeserved blessings upon us.

So what I couldn't do from a true heart yesterday morning, I can this morning. And that is truly praise God, from Whom all blessings flow!


Because of Him and Unto Him,




~~~
This post was shared on Tell Me A Story

14 comments:

Alece said...

this made me teary-eyed... i'm grateful your leg felt significantly better the next day (and hopefully still) and that you saw yourself in michael (you're in all of us, mom)... i love you.

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Alece. Thank you for coming by to read and comment. That means a lot. I love you.

Jamie @ Six Bricks High said...

So thankful for those undeserved, unexpected blessings! Lovely post.

Pam said...

Beautifully written, Diane! Could tell this was from the heart. So glad to hear you are feeling better!

Diane said...

Thank you, Pam!

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Jamie!

Stacie said...

It is so difficult to be in pain and watch those you love be in pain. I said a prayer for you today...

Diane said...

Thank you, Stacie!

Claire Vorster said...

Absolutely LOVE this post Diane. What a story of redemption. Funny how when something we think should be 'just so' turns out different, it can turn out for the best.

Diane Ronzino said...

Thank you, Claire!

caryjo said...

Yes, so often, when we've been the workers and the "doers" and the keepers, it's hard to suddenly stop and wait... and watch others become our helpers. God teaches us so clearly and straightforwardly. Sometimes makes me want to scream [nope, ain't perfect even as His girl], and then I obey.

Glad your leg is healed.

A Joyful Noise said...

Thank you for sharing your awesome story At Tell Me a True Story. As someone who has experienced similar injuries that required being served, I can understand. Your son has much of YOU inside him. Our first Thanksgiving, I invited our in-laws over, and ended up sick, and told my MIL that she would need to cook the turkey and fix eveything as I could not get out of bed. Embarrasing, but she rallyed and did a great job.

Diane Ronzino said...

CartJo, thanks for stopping by to read and share. I'm assuming you came over from Tell Me A Story. Isn't it great to share on there?

Diane Ronzino said...

Hazel, I only had to rely on my son. I can't imagine my MIL as a newlywed.. Oh man!

Thank you for what you said about my son. Kind words from a kind-hearted Vessel of Honor!