Sunday, July 10, 2011

Deep Connections Amidst Total Strangers

Blogs are amazing tools for allowing us to get to know strangers up close and personal.  Ever since I was a small child to the ever present, when I'm a passenger in a car, I look out the window at passing cars and pedestrians and think of all these people I'll never know; who will never know me.  As a very introverted youngster, that thought would sadden me.  I desired to reach beyond my little boxed-in world to know others who may, if given the chance, become a friend.  I used to wonder if there was anyone else out there in the world that thought the same way.  Sometimes, as an adult when I'm walking down a street, those same thoughts come to me.  Any of these passing people could be a life-altering relationship in my life or mine in theirs.  I wonder what we may be missing out on.

I always pray for God's "Divine Appointments" (as I call them) in my life; for God to put me in the right place at the right time for their life or as an influence in my own.  I had such an appointment yesterday.  But, I'm going to save the story of the "Undercover Nun" for another post.  Today's post is about a woman named Martha who shared a part of her life on her July 4th post on her blog, Pain Won't Beat Me. Her post is entitled This DAY is Tough.  I thought it was going to be a typical veteran or American wave-the-flag kind of story.  I was so wrong. Through Martha's blog she shared a horrific day her family experienced on a July 4th.  I cried when I read it.  I prayed for their family.  I gave thanks that I have never experienced that kind of unthinkable horror.  My heart reached out to this once-a-stranger when I first began reading her blog several months ago.  She lives in TX and I, in NY.  Chances are we would never have met in real life.  Chances are we may never meet.  But, thanks to blogging, God can connect us with those who will impact our lives.  Martha's grace and joy in the midst of on-going, chronic pain inspires me. After reading her July 4th post, I admire her all the more.  There is a heart connection, appointed by God, Himself.  She prays for me, I for her. Can it be that God has answered the desire of my young girl's heart - searching for deep connections amongst total strangers via the avenue of blogging?  I do believe so!


Thank You, LORD, for the opportunity to meet exemplary people through blogging that I never would have known otherwise; touching my life and mine touching theirs as we pass each other as once-a-stranger in this blogging world. I am so blessed!  HALLELUJAH!


Because of Him and Unto Him

6 comments:

Janet at New Moon Glass said...

That's a very cool story Diane! It give's the saying "It's a small world" a whole new meaning...

Diane said...

It sure does! Thanks for commenting, Janet!

wordglow said...

Your story reminds me a lot of myself...I remember thinking those same things as child, and today I often wonder if I'm passing by strangers in malls or airports who might become part of my life at some time. One of my best friends lived with her family a couple hours in the opposite direction from mine when we were growing up (we met in college), but both of us went to the same pediatrician in the area between our two homes. I've often wondered - could we have been sitting together in that waiting room at one point, strangers as children, but such important parts of each others lives later on? An amazing thought! I pray for Divine Appts too and nowadays we can even have them when discovering each other's blogs - as you say! Wondrous!
Thanks for your thoughts! Pam

Diane said...

Wow, Pam! Thanks for sharing that with me. That is awesome about you and your friend. Truly a Divine Appointment!

My husband and I lived 7 blocks from each other - shopped in the same town, etc. I used to walk by his house all the time to go to the park, but never met him until the "appointed" time when I was 19. Some things are meant to be.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Last year, I briefly met an older gentleman on a shuttle bus in Charleston, SC. He was a Holocaust survivor and he showed me the tattooed number on his arm. I told him I was so very honored and humbled to meet him. We didn't introduce ourselves, but when we parted ways, I shook his hand and told him, "I'll see you on the other side." He smiled and nodded.

If you don't ever meet my dear friend Martha in person, you certainly will someday on "the Other Side."

Martha Herden said...

You never know who will pass your way and have an impact on your life. When Diane left her fist comment on my Pain blog, it seemed as if I had known her for a very long time. Diane has paid me a very high compliment and I am honored to know her. Something tells me this was a "friendship in waiting"-and I know it will grow into a life-long relationship! Thank you Diane.