Sunday, June 26, 2011

God's Customer Service

Do you have seasons in your life where all it seems you do is "fire-fight"?  I had a few weeks in a row like that - calling insurance companies about benefits not received; lawn-care workers who don't do a thorough job; trying to rearrange appointments, but you can't even get someone on the phone; etc., etc.  It can be stressful just because customer service isn't that anymore.  The attitude that "the customer is always right" is almost non-existent in America today.  So, last week, when I spilled about 6-8 ozs. of water all over my open Apple MacBook Pro laptop, all I could think of was the nightmare that was ahead of me. I was already wearied from all the "fire-fighting" I had been doing. And now I was listening to my faithful, year-old computer sizzle and crackle. I was sick to my stomach by the time I called Apple.

The computer I had before my Apple MacBook Pro was a Toshiba, which was a lemon from day one.  I was a frequent caller to India, which is where Toshiba's customer service is.  It was always a nightmare mainly because of the language barrier and the fact that there was no personal concern whatsoever.  So, at the thought of having to deal with Apple's customer service, I was geared up for the worst.

As soon as the cup of water slipped through my fingers, I asked Jesus for a miracle.  I knew I was in big trouble.  I made the dreaded phone call to Apple.  However, I must say, it was an extremely pleasant experience.  The USA, English-speaking employee was not only very empathetic with me, he was respectful and treated me with dignified concern, although he wasn't too sure my laptop could be saved.  He scheduled an appointment for me to take my computer into an Apple store on Friday.

"$755.00", the store employee quoted me.

"$755.00?!"

"$755.00"

It would cost $755.00 if Apple could fix it at all. They didn't even know if any of my information could be saved.  I was sick to my stomach again, knowing we didn't have that kind of money.  If the laptop could be repaired, I would have to tell them "no" anyway. The store was to call me after the technician looked at it to let me know if it was repairable and what the cost would be.  I left my MacBook Pro with Apple on Friday morning a week ago.   This past Wednesday the call came, but I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Your computer is ready to be picked up."

"What?!"

"Your computer is ready to be picked up."

"Oh, my gosh!"  I started to panic because now I would have to battle over the fact that they repaired it without speaking to me first to authorize it.

"It came to $755, but Apple is covering the cost for you."

"Excuse me...say that again, please."

"Apple is covering the cost of the repair - $755.00 - and it's like you have a brand new computer now."  Not only was all my precious stuff safe and sound, but the guts of my laptop are now brand new.  I was at a loss for words.  But, seconds later, gratitude erupted from deep within. First, I thanked Jesus because I got the miracle I had asked for, then I profusely thanked the Apple employee that called me.

In this day and age in America, where there is hardly a thing as good customer service anymore, Apple proved itself to be a stand up company - a company of integrity; a company that went above and beyond for the customer's sake; a company that employs caring, respectful people.  It turns out, Apple was the fire-fighter on my behalf this time, and it did my soul good!

And once again, Jesus came through bestowing upon me "above all I could think or ask" (Eph. 3:20). When I shared this story with a friend, he asked me (seriously) why did I waste my request on something like this; I should have asked for world peace.  Oh, if he only knew God the way I do! He is Supreme at His customer service and He is the Giver of the best gifts, aching to bestow them upon His children.

I expect miracles, so I asked.  He is faithful and true to His Word, so I received.  And I'm so very, very grateful.

Because of Him and Unto Him

No comments: