Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What A Friend of God Looks Like

Yesterday, I had the privilege of meeting an 85-year-old-woman who is nearing the end of her time on earth.  Ruth has always been a vibrant, on-the-go from morning-till-night, servant of the Lord. She is a devout Catholic, whose home is peace-filled with The Presence of our Lord. Always reaching out to those who are suffering, Ruth has visited hospitals, nursing homes, and hospices daily. That is, up till a few months ago with she received the "big C" diagnosis.  She was symptom free until all the tests confirmed stage 4. Now her body is betraying her. I drove with a friend of Ruth's to New Jersey.  I was just helping a friend take a long drive.  But, I was prayed up and asking The LORD to use me.  I was prepared to administer Communion, to pray, to encourage her in what Heaven will be like, to even cry with her if the need be.

There was no such needs. I learned that a Priest has been coming once a week to serve her Communion.  The church where she has faithfully served for many years, is now serving her.  Someone from her Parrish is in and out continually.  They come in to just say hello, to do things around the house, shop for food, etc.  Hospice, now, comes to her.  She has sown throughout her life and now she is reaping benefits back.  I see Jesus Christ in this fearless, Vessel of Honor.

Ruth is a classy woman, full of joy and peace.  She is a faithful Handmaiden of The Lord with a warring spirit.  You can tell she lived her life aggressively against the kingdom of darkness and humbly before her Master.  And as long as she has breathe, she will continue to intercede for her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  If they only knew how blessed they were!

Driving back to Long Island, I was disappointed that there was nothing I could for her.  But, I believe now, that trip was more for me.  I want to live this last portion of my life as Ruth has done - being about my Father's business.  I want to be able to hold my head up and overcome evil by doing good.  She has been able to love some very ugly relatives in her 85 years.  Ruth allowed Love within her to triumph over relatives' mean-filled ways and therefore, being a doer of The Word to "Love your enemies."
But, I say to you: Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who despitefully use you and persecute you, so that you become sons of your Father in Heaven.  ~ Matthew 5:44-45
Ruth's name means "friendship".  She has "many, good friends" I've been told.  She sowed friendship and has reaped them back into her life. Oh, but I have a feeling one of Ruth's greatest friendships is with God, Himself. Oh, what a glorious home-going she is going to experience...I can only imagine...

May I live my life in such a way, that possibly someone could say this of me at the end of my life, Lord.

No comments: