Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Remaining Fruit

I had a most encouraging phone call on Saturday, but I didn't really realize the "encouraging" part until today.  Out of the blue, Cecil phoned me.  I hadn't spoken to her in many months.  She told me that I had been heavy on her heart since Mother's Day and she had been praying for me.  I shared what has been happening in our lives - Joe with his job and me with my health challenge.

I met Cecil about six years ago when she walked into a Sunday morning church service.  It was a Divine Appointment in both our lives.  At the altar call, Cecil responded.  Desperate and ready for a life-altering encounter with Jesus Christ, she humbly prayed to Jesus and then received my prayers over her.  On the spot, Cecil, who was a heroine addiction for seventeen years, was delivered and instantaneously set free.  She only had a couple of hours of withdrawal symptoms.  She has since become a mighty warrior in the Kingdom of God.

On the phone, Cecil broke out in powerful, authoritative prayer for me.  She must have prayed for 15 minutes.  As Cecil prayed, The Holy Spirit ministered to me.  At the end of our conversation, she asked me, "Remember when I didn't even know what intercession was?"  Yes, I remember.  I had a small part in Cecil's beginning days, teaching her about Jesus and prayer.  When she moved on from our church and went back to Queens, I kept in touch with her, praying for God to keep her.  He was most faithful.

Today, my Jesus reminded me of His Word:  "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask The Father in My Name, He may give you."  (John 15:16)   I am so humbled before my God to realize today that my fruit, which is Cecil, has remained. And I am so honored to be on the receiving end of her prayers.  Thank You, Lord Jesus!  


He just reminded me of another Scripture: "Give and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom.  For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you."  (Luke 6:38)  I "gave" prayer and I received prayer. With the same ferocity that I prayed over Cecil for deliverance, she now prayed over me for healing.  I am in over-flow, and I am blessed!  Thank You, Lord Jesus!

Because of Him and Unto Him   

1 comment:

Pam said...

A beautiful story... I love testimonies of prayer. My friend and I were just talking the other day about wanting to be more aware of God's "nudges" in our spirits - like Cecil's nudge to pray for you because she was thinking of you... and how we can sometimes take awhile to clue in that our thoughts are coming from Him. I praise Him for speaking into our hearts for each other...
Pam