Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Truth Be Told

Lies are to bondage, what truth is to freedom.
And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. ~ John 8:32
The lies we believe about ourselves or others holds us in bondage.  The lies, literally, become a cage that incarcerates our souls with invisible bars encasing us. But, when truth is revealed, there is freedom.  It's as if someone, without warning, unlocks the cage door and we're free to fly away. But, do we?

I have a canary.  When I clean his cage, the first thing I do is open the cage door.  You would think he would just fly out, but usually, he flits to the back floor of the cage and doesn't move. Those bars have become his comfort zone.  Wanting to complete the task at hand, I've never waited long enough to see if he will come out on his own. So, I separate the bar part of the cage from the bottom part.  With the top half removed, Shilo then flies out.

I think we are sometimes like Shilo.  A new found freedom can be a scary thing.  Because we are so used to the bars that hold us in our comfort zone, we're afraid to fly.  Sometimes, we need a push; sometimes, we just need someone to come along encouraging us that the "bars" have been removed; sometimes, we can just soar away once we realize that the lies were just that - lies.

I've experienced all three. The most liberating, however, have been the times when I have chosen to just soar away. It truly is as if I've been mounted with wings as eagles (Is. 40: 31), soaring high above the lies, with an eye-piercing sight of the truth I know now.  It is a truly an unforgetable high.

I wish you all an eagle-exodus experience when you realize it's nothing but a lie!

3 comments:

Andrew Ronzino said...

I love this! Well said, Mom!

Diane said...

Thank you, Andrew!

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.