Saturday, April 30, 2011

David, A Man After God's Heart

Max Lucado's latest book is entitled Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make A Difference.  With David Wilkerson's passing from this world to Heaven, Max's latest writing seems to be so more relevant.  David Wilkerson was a man who has outlived his own life, and he definitely made a difference - all over this planet.

The ministries, church, programs this man created in his 60 years of ministries are numerous throughout the world. His church changed the Times Square area of New  York City. He was a man truly after the salvation of very lost souls. He has authored many books. I recommend you read The Cross and the Switchblade or watch the movie.  It was David's story of coming to New York City as a young preacher and reaching out to gang members. David's response to the head gang member who threatened his life was, "You could cut me in a thousand pieces and lay them out in the street and every piece would love you."  David has been Nicky Cruz's friend ever since.

I have been receiving his free monthly newsletter for almost 20 years.  Monthly, my spiritual life was impacted.  Monthly, my soul would sigh because David spoke directly to me.  I am, in part, who I am because of the life's work of David Wilkerson.  His faith and his love for the unlovable ones has helped shaped some of the things that I have accomplished in my own life.

I recommend you go to www.worldchallenge.org and read Remembering David Wilkerson written by his son, Gary.  It's a beautiful tribute to a great man of God and an incredible human being.  His memorial service will be streamed live on the World Challenge website on Saturday, May 14th @ 2 PM.

David, I'm happy for you, as you are now face-to-face with your Beloved Jesus. Thank you for being an example to me of a true shepherd, true disciple of Jesus Christ, and a true man of God. Thank you for making a difference in my life and countless, countless others on this planet.  You will be outlived and what a glorious tribute to Jesus Christ that is!

No comments: